Venomous bites and stings are complex poisonings that have local and systemic effects. Mild envenomations can be treated with supportive care. Severe envenomations can be treated definitively with species-specific antivenom, although the use of these products has potential risk of immediate and a more delayed onset form of hypersensitivity reactions. Consultation with a toxicologist is recommended to help guide therapy. Field treatments such as tourniquets and incision likely cause more harm than benefit and should be avoided.
|Original language||English (US)|
|Number of pages||8|
|State||Published - Jul 13 2009|
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Pediatrics, Perinatology, and Child Health