Use of the PATH Alliance database to measure adherence to IDSA guidelines for the therapy of candidemia

D. Horn, D. Neofytos, J. Fishman, W. Steinbach, E. Anaisie, K. A. Marr, M. Pfaller, A. Olyaei

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


Candidemia is an increasing complication of the care of complex patients. Adherence to Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) guidelines for the treatment of candidemia was investigated to assess the impact of compliance on outcomes of therapy. Data on the epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment of patients with invasive fungal infections (IFIs) was extracted from the PATH Alliance registry, a prospective, multicenter, observational database of invasive fungal infections. Patients with proven candidemia were evaluated for adherence to the IDSA guidelines in terms of choice, dosage, and duration of antifungal therapy. Removal of central venous catheters and time to treatment initiation were assessed. Four-week survival data were compared. Of the 418 patients with candidemia who were included in the study, 361 patients with the necessary data sets were identified, of whom 262 (72.6%) were treated within the IDSA guidelines for the treatment of candidemia (IDSA group); the remaining 99 (27.4%) patients received treatment different from the guidelines (non-IDSA group). Kaplan-Meier (KM) survival analysis for patients in the IDSA and non-IDSA group showed mortality rates of 21.9 and 13.6%, respectively; the difference between the two groups was not statistically significant (P=0.093). Following the exclusion of patients requiring mechanical ventilation or acute cardiac support, the modified survival KM curves were similar between the two groups. Significantly more patients in the IDSA group required mechanical ventilation and tunneled central catheters, had a concomitant IFI, and received caspofungin. The duration of treatment and inappropriate dosing did not appear to have had a significant impact on survival. Most of the deviations from IDSA guidelines were due to the inappropriate duration and dosing of therapy. No significant difference in mortality was noted between the IDSA and non-IDSA groups. The basis of these differences merit further study.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)907-914
Number of pages8
JournalEuropean Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Issue number12
StatePublished - Dec 2007
Externally publishedYes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Microbiology (medical)
  • Infectious Diseases


Dive into the research topics of 'Use of the PATH Alliance database to measure adherence to IDSA guidelines for the therapy of candidemia'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this