Two young children who sustained thermal injuries to the epiglottis (or 'thermal epiglottitis') after swallowing hot beverages are reported. Findings, clinically and radiologically, in both children were similar to acute infectious epiglottitis. Children with these injuries are at risk for significant upper airway obstruction which may progress for several hours. Children in whom thermal epiglottitis is suspected should be approached with the same caution and preparedness for emergency airway management and pediatric intensive care afforded those with acute infectious epiglottitis.
|Original language||English (US)|
|Number of pages||4|
|Publication status||Published - 1988|
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Pediatrics, Perinatology, and Child Health