The utility of ultrasonographically guided large-core needle biopsy: Results from 500 consecutive breast biopsies

D. N. Smith, M. L. Rosenfield Darling, J. E. Meyer, C. M. Denison, D. I. Rose, S. Lester, A. Richardson, C. M. Kaelin, E. Rhei, R. L. Christian

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Five hundred ultrasonographically guided large-core needle breast biopsies of solid masses were performed in 446 women. Histopathologic results were correlated with imaging findings. Ultrasonographically guided large-core needle biopsy resulted in diagnosis of malignancy (n = 124) or severe atypical ductal hyperplasia (n = 4) in 128 lesions (26%). In the remaining 372 lesions (74%), ultrasonographically guided large-core needle biopsy yielded benign pathologic results. Follow-up of more than 1 year (n = 225), results of surgical excision (n = 50), or both were obtainable in 275 (74%) of the benign lesions. No malignancies were discovered at surgical excision or during follow-up of this group of benign lesions. There were no complications related to large-core needle biopsy that required additional treatment. Ultrasonographically guided large-core needle biopsy is a safe and accurate method for evaluating breast lesions that require tissue sampling.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)43-49
Number of pages7
JournalJournal of Ultrasound in Medicine
Volume20
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 1 2001
Externally publishedYes

Keywords

  • Biopsy
  • Breast
  • Ultrasonography

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiological and Ultrasound Technology
  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'The utility of ultrasonographically guided large-core needle biopsy: Results from 500 consecutive breast biopsies'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this