The Effect of Obesity on Perioperative Outcomes for Open and Minimally Invasive Prostatectomy

Scott C. Johnson, Vignesh T. Packiam, Shay Golan, Andrew J. Cohen, Charles U. Nottingham, Norm D. Smith

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Objective To compare the impact of obesity on perioperative outcomes between open radical prostatectomy (ORP) and minimally invasive prostatectomy (MIP). Methods Using the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program public use files for 2008-2013, we identified patients undergoing prostatectomy using Current Procedural Terminology codes. Those without body mass index (BMI) or comorbidity information were excluded. BMI was treated as a categorical variable according to the World Health Organization classification. Demographic and comorbid conditions were compared between BMI groups, and multivariable logistical regression was used to identify independent predictors of adverse perioperative events. Results We identified 17,693 MIP and 4674 ORP for analysis. Of the entire cohort, only 18.7% had a BMI within the normal range (18.5-24.9), whereas the remaining 81.3% were at least overweight (BMI > 25). Class I, II, and III obesity accounted for 25.0%, 7.0%, and 2.3% of the cohort, respectively. Overall, complications were higher with ORP (19.0%) than with MIP (5.3%), which held true across all BMI categories. The rate of wound, renal, thromboembolic, infectious, neurologic, Clavien grade III-V, and overall complications among MIP were directly related to BMI. Only wound and renal complications were related to BMI in ORP. In multivariable analysis, obesity was found to be an independent predictor of wound, renal, and thromboembolic complications. Conclusion Obesity has a larger impact on morbidity for MIP compared to ORP. Overall morbidity, however, remains lower for MIP across all BMI groups.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)111-116
Number of pages6
JournalUrology
Volume100
DOIs
StatePublished - Feb 1 2017
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Prostatectomy
Obesity
Body Mass Index
Kidney
Wounds and Injuries
Current Procedural Terminology
Morbidity
Quality Improvement
Nervous System
Comorbidity
Reference Values
Demography

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Urology

Cite this

The Effect of Obesity on Perioperative Outcomes for Open and Minimally Invasive Prostatectomy. / Johnson, Scott C.; Packiam, Vignesh T.; Golan, Shay; Cohen, Andrew J.; Nottingham, Charles U.; Smith, Norm D.

In: Urology, Vol. 100, 01.02.2017, p. 111-116.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Johnson, Scott C. ; Packiam, Vignesh T. ; Golan, Shay ; Cohen, Andrew J. ; Nottingham, Charles U. ; Smith, Norm D. / The Effect of Obesity on Perioperative Outcomes for Open and Minimally Invasive Prostatectomy. In: Urology. 2017 ; Vol. 100. pp. 111-116.
@article{b9aab8bed38a4c9cbcbeb37c403caca7,
title = "The Effect of Obesity on Perioperative Outcomes for Open and Minimally Invasive Prostatectomy",
abstract = "Objective To compare the impact of obesity on perioperative outcomes between open radical prostatectomy (ORP) and minimally invasive prostatectomy (MIP). Methods Using the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program public use files for 2008-2013, we identified patients undergoing prostatectomy using Current Procedural Terminology codes. Those without body mass index (BMI) or comorbidity information were excluded. BMI was treated as a categorical variable according to the World Health Organization classification. Demographic and comorbid conditions were compared between BMI groups, and multivariable logistical regression was used to identify independent predictors of adverse perioperative events. Results We identified 17,693 MIP and 4674 ORP for analysis. Of the entire cohort, only 18.7{\%} had a BMI within the normal range (18.5-24.9), whereas the remaining 81.3{\%} were at least overweight (BMI > 25). Class I, II, and III obesity accounted for 25.0{\%}, 7.0{\%}, and 2.3{\%} of the cohort, respectively. Overall, complications were higher with ORP (19.0{\%}) than with MIP (5.3{\%}), which held true across all BMI categories. The rate of wound, renal, thromboembolic, infectious, neurologic, Clavien grade III-V, and overall complications among MIP were directly related to BMI. Only wound and renal complications were related to BMI in ORP. In multivariable analysis, obesity was found to be an independent predictor of wound, renal, and thromboembolic complications. Conclusion Obesity has a larger impact on morbidity for MIP compared to ORP. Overall morbidity, however, remains lower for MIP across all BMI groups.",
author = "Johnson, {Scott C.} and Packiam, {Vignesh T.} and Shay Golan and Cohen, {Andrew J.} and Nottingham, {Charles U.} and Smith, {Norm D.}",
year = "2017",
month = "2",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1016/j.urology.2016.11.028",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "100",
pages = "111--116",
journal = "Urology",
issn = "0090-4295",
publisher = "Elsevier Inc.",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - The Effect of Obesity on Perioperative Outcomes for Open and Minimally Invasive Prostatectomy

AU - Johnson, Scott C.

AU - Packiam, Vignesh T.

AU - Golan, Shay

AU - Cohen, Andrew J.

AU - Nottingham, Charles U.

AU - Smith, Norm D.

PY - 2017/2/1

Y1 - 2017/2/1

N2 - Objective To compare the impact of obesity on perioperative outcomes between open radical prostatectomy (ORP) and minimally invasive prostatectomy (MIP). Methods Using the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program public use files for 2008-2013, we identified patients undergoing prostatectomy using Current Procedural Terminology codes. Those without body mass index (BMI) or comorbidity information were excluded. BMI was treated as a categorical variable according to the World Health Organization classification. Demographic and comorbid conditions were compared between BMI groups, and multivariable logistical regression was used to identify independent predictors of adverse perioperative events. Results We identified 17,693 MIP and 4674 ORP for analysis. Of the entire cohort, only 18.7% had a BMI within the normal range (18.5-24.9), whereas the remaining 81.3% were at least overweight (BMI > 25). Class I, II, and III obesity accounted for 25.0%, 7.0%, and 2.3% of the cohort, respectively. Overall, complications were higher with ORP (19.0%) than with MIP (5.3%), which held true across all BMI categories. The rate of wound, renal, thromboembolic, infectious, neurologic, Clavien grade III-V, and overall complications among MIP were directly related to BMI. Only wound and renal complications were related to BMI in ORP. In multivariable analysis, obesity was found to be an independent predictor of wound, renal, and thromboembolic complications. Conclusion Obesity has a larger impact on morbidity for MIP compared to ORP. Overall morbidity, however, remains lower for MIP across all BMI groups.

AB - Objective To compare the impact of obesity on perioperative outcomes between open radical prostatectomy (ORP) and minimally invasive prostatectomy (MIP). Methods Using the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program public use files for 2008-2013, we identified patients undergoing prostatectomy using Current Procedural Terminology codes. Those without body mass index (BMI) or comorbidity information were excluded. BMI was treated as a categorical variable according to the World Health Organization classification. Demographic and comorbid conditions were compared between BMI groups, and multivariable logistical regression was used to identify independent predictors of adverse perioperative events. Results We identified 17,693 MIP and 4674 ORP for analysis. Of the entire cohort, only 18.7% had a BMI within the normal range (18.5-24.9), whereas the remaining 81.3% were at least overweight (BMI > 25). Class I, II, and III obesity accounted for 25.0%, 7.0%, and 2.3% of the cohort, respectively. Overall, complications were higher with ORP (19.0%) than with MIP (5.3%), which held true across all BMI categories. The rate of wound, renal, thromboembolic, infectious, neurologic, Clavien grade III-V, and overall complications among MIP were directly related to BMI. Only wound and renal complications were related to BMI in ORP. In multivariable analysis, obesity was found to be an independent predictor of wound, renal, and thromboembolic complications. Conclusion Obesity has a larger impact on morbidity for MIP compared to ORP. Overall morbidity, however, remains lower for MIP across all BMI groups.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85008420001&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85008420001&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.urology.2016.11.028

DO - 10.1016/j.urology.2016.11.028

M3 - Article

C2 - 27890683

AN - SCOPUS:85008420001

VL - 100

SP - 111

EP - 116

JO - Urology

JF - Urology

SN - 0090-4295

ER -