The Baltimore pregnancy prevention program for urban teenagers: I. How did it work?

L. Schwab Zabin, M. B. Hirsch, R. Streett, Mark Ross Emerson, M. Smith, J. B. Hardy, T. M. King

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Two teams, each consisting of a social worker and a nurse, delivered the bulk of services in an experimental pregnancy prevention program for junior and senior high school students that combined school and clinic components. In-school components were classroom presentations, informal discussion groups and individual counseling; clinic services consisted of group education, individual counseling and reproductive health care. Eighty-five percent of the total student enrollment had contact with at least one component of the program. More males than females were among the 15 percent with no contact. When estimates of chronic absenteeism are taken into account, the program is believed to have reached all students in regular attendence. Approximately 22 percent of staff-student contacts occurred in the classroom, and the remaining 78 percent were voluntary on the part of the student. About 68 percent of contacts occurred within the school, with small group discussions especially popular - they represented 41 percent of all contacts. The proportion of contacts that occurred in the clinic was highest among senior high females (46 percent) and lowest among senior high males (12 percent).

Original languageEnglish (US)
JournalFamily Planning Perspectives
Volume20
Issue number4
DOIs
StatePublished - 1988

Fingerprint

Baltimore
pregnancy
contact
Students
Pregnancy
Counseling
student
school
group discussion
counseling
Absenteeism
group education
Reproductive Health
classroom
absenteeism
small group
Nurses
social worker
Delivery of Health Care
nurse

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Public Health, Environmental and Occupational Health

Cite this

The Baltimore pregnancy prevention program for urban teenagers : I. How did it work? / Schwab Zabin, L.; Hirsch, M. B.; Streett, R.; Emerson, Mark Ross; Smith, M.; Hardy, J. B.; King, T. M.

In: Family Planning Perspectives, Vol. 20, No. 4, 1988.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Schwab Zabin, L. ; Hirsch, M. B. ; Streett, R. ; Emerson, Mark Ross ; Smith, M. ; Hardy, J. B. ; King, T. M. / The Baltimore pregnancy prevention program for urban teenagers : I. How did it work?. In: Family Planning Perspectives. 1988 ; Vol. 20, No. 4.
@article{7de3b08e36c44fd791467965983d82ed,
title = "The Baltimore pregnancy prevention program for urban teenagers: I. How did it work?",
abstract = "Two teams, each consisting of a social worker and a nurse, delivered the bulk of services in an experimental pregnancy prevention program for junior and senior high school students that combined school and clinic components. In-school components were classroom presentations, informal discussion groups and individual counseling; clinic services consisted of group education, individual counseling and reproductive health care. Eighty-five percent of the total student enrollment had contact with at least one component of the program. More males than females were among the 15 percent with no contact. When estimates of chronic absenteeism are taken into account, the program is believed to have reached all students in regular attendence. Approximately 22 percent of staff-student contacts occurred in the classroom, and the remaining 78 percent were voluntary on the part of the student. About 68 percent of contacts occurred within the school, with small group discussions especially popular - they represented 41 percent of all contacts. The proportion of contacts that occurred in the clinic was highest among senior high females (46 percent) and lowest among senior high males (12 percent).",
author = "{Schwab Zabin}, L. and Hirsch, {M. B.} and R. Streett and Emerson, {Mark Ross} and M. Smith and Hardy, {J. B.} and King, {T. M.}",
year = "1988",
doi = "10.2307/2135798",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "20",
journal = "Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health",
issn = "1538-6341",
publisher = "Wiley-Blackwell",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - The Baltimore pregnancy prevention program for urban teenagers

T2 - I. How did it work?

AU - Schwab Zabin, L.

AU - Hirsch, M. B.

AU - Streett, R.

AU - Emerson, Mark Ross

AU - Smith, M.

AU - Hardy, J. B.

AU - King, T. M.

PY - 1988

Y1 - 1988

N2 - Two teams, each consisting of a social worker and a nurse, delivered the bulk of services in an experimental pregnancy prevention program for junior and senior high school students that combined school and clinic components. In-school components were classroom presentations, informal discussion groups and individual counseling; clinic services consisted of group education, individual counseling and reproductive health care. Eighty-five percent of the total student enrollment had contact with at least one component of the program. More males than females were among the 15 percent with no contact. When estimates of chronic absenteeism are taken into account, the program is believed to have reached all students in regular attendence. Approximately 22 percent of staff-student contacts occurred in the classroom, and the remaining 78 percent were voluntary on the part of the student. About 68 percent of contacts occurred within the school, with small group discussions especially popular - they represented 41 percent of all contacts. The proportion of contacts that occurred in the clinic was highest among senior high females (46 percent) and lowest among senior high males (12 percent).

AB - Two teams, each consisting of a social worker and a nurse, delivered the bulk of services in an experimental pregnancy prevention program for junior and senior high school students that combined school and clinic components. In-school components were classroom presentations, informal discussion groups and individual counseling; clinic services consisted of group education, individual counseling and reproductive health care. Eighty-five percent of the total student enrollment had contact with at least one component of the program. More males than females were among the 15 percent with no contact. When estimates of chronic absenteeism are taken into account, the program is believed to have reached all students in regular attendence. Approximately 22 percent of staff-student contacts occurred in the classroom, and the remaining 78 percent were voluntary on the part of the student. About 68 percent of contacts occurred within the school, with small group discussions especially popular - they represented 41 percent of all contacts. The proportion of contacts that occurred in the clinic was highest among senior high females (46 percent) and lowest among senior high males (12 percent).

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0023732282&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0023732282&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.2307/2135798

DO - 10.2307/2135798

M3 - Article

C2 - 3243348

AN - SCOPUS:0023732282

VL - 20

JO - Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health

JF - Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health

SN - 1538-6341

IS - 4

ER -