Small glandular proliferations on needle biopsies

Most common benign mimickers of prostatic adenocarcinoma sent in for expert second opinion

Mehsati Herawi, Anil V. Parwani, Junji Irie, Jonathan Ira Epstein

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

The current study aimed to determine the incidence of various benign mimickers of prostatic adenocarcinoma most commonly encountered in a busy consultation practice. All prostate needle biopsies from the consult service of one of the authors were prospectively evaluated over a 7-month period. Only cases with foci where the contributor questioned malignancy and which upon expert review the entire case was determined to be benign were included in this study. A total of 567 separate suspected atypical foci from 345 patients of a total of 4,046 patients (8.5%) received in consultation were identified. Of these, 281 foci (49.5%) had immunohistochemical (IHC) studies performed by the outside institution, which included high molecular weight cytokeratin (HMWCK) (n = 280), alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase (AMACR) (P504s) (n = 45), and p63 (n = 34). The most common mimicker was partial atrophy (203 of 567; 35.8%). Technically adequate IHC for basal cells was performed in 117 cases of partial atrophy with patchy or patchy/negative staining seen in 102 of 117 (87%), with the remaining 13% of cases completely negative. A total of 15 of 19 (79%) cases of partial atrophy were positive with AMACR. Crowded benign glands, insufficiently crowded or numerous to warrant a diagnosis of adenosis, was the second most common mimicker (146 of 567; 25.7%). Crowded benign glands had patchy or patchy/negative IHC for basal cells in 66 of 81 (81%) cases with the remaining 19% of cases completely negative. A total of 7 of 11 (64%) cases of crowded glands were positive for AMACR. In the past, complete atrophy, adenosis, seminal vesicle, and granulomatous prostatitis were considered common mimickers of prostate cancer on prostatic needle biopsies. Our study shows that currently partial atrophy and crowded benign glands are the most common benign changes causing diagnostic difficulty and prompting consultation. Negative or patchy staining for basal cells and positive staining for AMACR may contribute to diagnostic difficulty in these entities.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)874-880
Number of pages7
JournalAmerican Journal of Surgical Pathology
Volume29
Issue number7
DOIs
StatePublished - Jul 2005

Fingerprint

Expert Testimony
Needle Biopsy
Atrophy
Adenocarcinoma
Referral and Consultation
Staining and Labeling
Negative Staining
Prostatitis
Seminal Vesicles
Keratins
Prostate
Prostatic Neoplasms
Molecular Weight
alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase
Incidence
Neoplasms

Keywords

  • Adenosis
  • AMACR
  • Basal cell hyperplasia
  • Basal cell markers
  • Inflammation
  • Mimickers
  • Partial atrophy
  • Prostate cancer
  • Radiation atypia
  • Second opinion

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Anatomy
  • Pathology and Forensic Medicine

Cite this

Small glandular proliferations on needle biopsies : Most common benign mimickers of prostatic adenocarcinoma sent in for expert second opinion. / Herawi, Mehsati; Parwani, Anil V.; Irie, Junji; Epstein, Jonathan Ira.

In: American Journal of Surgical Pathology, Vol. 29, No. 7, 07.2005, p. 874-880.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{129608ab5cf74815a072dea02c5f9c5c,
title = "Small glandular proliferations on needle biopsies: Most common benign mimickers of prostatic adenocarcinoma sent in for expert second opinion",
abstract = "The current study aimed to determine the incidence of various benign mimickers of prostatic adenocarcinoma most commonly encountered in a busy consultation practice. All prostate needle biopsies from the consult service of one of the authors were prospectively evaluated over a 7-month period. Only cases with foci where the contributor questioned malignancy and which upon expert review the entire case was determined to be benign were included in this study. A total of 567 separate suspected atypical foci from 345 patients of a total of 4,046 patients (8.5{\%}) received in consultation were identified. Of these, 281 foci (49.5{\%}) had immunohistochemical (IHC) studies performed by the outside institution, which included high molecular weight cytokeratin (HMWCK) (n = 280), alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase (AMACR) (P504s) (n = 45), and p63 (n = 34). The most common mimicker was partial atrophy (203 of 567; 35.8{\%}). Technically adequate IHC for basal cells was performed in 117 cases of partial atrophy with patchy or patchy/negative staining seen in 102 of 117 (87{\%}), with the remaining 13{\%} of cases completely negative. A total of 15 of 19 (79{\%}) cases of partial atrophy were positive with AMACR. Crowded benign glands, insufficiently crowded or numerous to warrant a diagnosis of adenosis, was the second most common mimicker (146 of 567; 25.7{\%}). Crowded benign glands had patchy or patchy/negative IHC for basal cells in 66 of 81 (81{\%}) cases with the remaining 19{\%} of cases completely negative. A total of 7 of 11 (64{\%}) cases of crowded glands were positive for AMACR. In the past, complete atrophy, adenosis, seminal vesicle, and granulomatous prostatitis were considered common mimickers of prostate cancer on prostatic needle biopsies. Our study shows that currently partial atrophy and crowded benign glands are the most common benign changes causing diagnostic difficulty and prompting consultation. Negative or patchy staining for basal cells and positive staining for AMACR may contribute to diagnostic difficulty in these entities.",
keywords = "Adenosis, AMACR, Basal cell hyperplasia, Basal cell markers, Inflammation, Mimickers, Partial atrophy, Prostate cancer, Radiation atypia, Second opinion",
author = "Mehsati Herawi and Parwani, {Anil V.} and Junji Irie and Epstein, {Jonathan Ira}",
year = "2005",
month = "7",
doi = "10.1097/01.pas.0000159520.36806.3e",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "29",
pages = "874--880",
journal = "American Journal of Surgical Pathology",
issn = "0147-5185",
publisher = "Lippincott Williams and Wilkins",
number = "7",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Small glandular proliferations on needle biopsies

T2 - Most common benign mimickers of prostatic adenocarcinoma sent in for expert second opinion

AU - Herawi, Mehsati

AU - Parwani, Anil V.

AU - Irie, Junji

AU - Epstein, Jonathan Ira

PY - 2005/7

Y1 - 2005/7

N2 - The current study aimed to determine the incidence of various benign mimickers of prostatic adenocarcinoma most commonly encountered in a busy consultation practice. All prostate needle biopsies from the consult service of one of the authors were prospectively evaluated over a 7-month period. Only cases with foci where the contributor questioned malignancy and which upon expert review the entire case was determined to be benign were included in this study. A total of 567 separate suspected atypical foci from 345 patients of a total of 4,046 patients (8.5%) received in consultation were identified. Of these, 281 foci (49.5%) had immunohistochemical (IHC) studies performed by the outside institution, which included high molecular weight cytokeratin (HMWCK) (n = 280), alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase (AMACR) (P504s) (n = 45), and p63 (n = 34). The most common mimicker was partial atrophy (203 of 567; 35.8%). Technically adequate IHC for basal cells was performed in 117 cases of partial atrophy with patchy or patchy/negative staining seen in 102 of 117 (87%), with the remaining 13% of cases completely negative. A total of 15 of 19 (79%) cases of partial atrophy were positive with AMACR. Crowded benign glands, insufficiently crowded or numerous to warrant a diagnosis of adenosis, was the second most common mimicker (146 of 567; 25.7%). Crowded benign glands had patchy or patchy/negative IHC for basal cells in 66 of 81 (81%) cases with the remaining 19% of cases completely negative. A total of 7 of 11 (64%) cases of crowded glands were positive for AMACR. In the past, complete atrophy, adenosis, seminal vesicle, and granulomatous prostatitis were considered common mimickers of prostate cancer on prostatic needle biopsies. Our study shows that currently partial atrophy and crowded benign glands are the most common benign changes causing diagnostic difficulty and prompting consultation. Negative or patchy staining for basal cells and positive staining for AMACR may contribute to diagnostic difficulty in these entities.

AB - The current study aimed to determine the incidence of various benign mimickers of prostatic adenocarcinoma most commonly encountered in a busy consultation practice. All prostate needle biopsies from the consult service of one of the authors were prospectively evaluated over a 7-month period. Only cases with foci where the contributor questioned malignancy and which upon expert review the entire case was determined to be benign were included in this study. A total of 567 separate suspected atypical foci from 345 patients of a total of 4,046 patients (8.5%) received in consultation were identified. Of these, 281 foci (49.5%) had immunohistochemical (IHC) studies performed by the outside institution, which included high molecular weight cytokeratin (HMWCK) (n = 280), alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase (AMACR) (P504s) (n = 45), and p63 (n = 34). The most common mimicker was partial atrophy (203 of 567; 35.8%). Technically adequate IHC for basal cells was performed in 117 cases of partial atrophy with patchy or patchy/negative staining seen in 102 of 117 (87%), with the remaining 13% of cases completely negative. A total of 15 of 19 (79%) cases of partial atrophy were positive with AMACR. Crowded benign glands, insufficiently crowded or numerous to warrant a diagnosis of adenosis, was the second most common mimicker (146 of 567; 25.7%). Crowded benign glands had patchy or patchy/negative IHC for basal cells in 66 of 81 (81%) cases with the remaining 19% of cases completely negative. A total of 7 of 11 (64%) cases of crowded glands were positive for AMACR. In the past, complete atrophy, adenosis, seminal vesicle, and granulomatous prostatitis were considered common mimickers of prostate cancer on prostatic needle biopsies. Our study shows that currently partial atrophy and crowded benign glands are the most common benign changes causing diagnostic difficulty and prompting consultation. Negative or patchy staining for basal cells and positive staining for AMACR may contribute to diagnostic difficulty in these entities.

KW - Adenosis

KW - AMACR

KW - Basal cell hyperplasia

KW - Basal cell markers

KW - Inflammation

KW - Mimickers

KW - Partial atrophy

KW - Prostate cancer

KW - Radiation atypia

KW - Second opinion

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=21244468735&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=21244468735&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1097/01.pas.0000159520.36806.3e

DO - 10.1097/01.pas.0000159520.36806.3e

M3 - Article

VL - 29

SP - 874

EP - 880

JO - American Journal of Surgical Pathology

JF - American Journal of Surgical Pathology

SN - 0147-5185

IS - 7

ER -