This study explored predictors of improvement after completing a psychodiagnostic screening assessment but before randomization among youth who participated in two pilot randomized controlled trials of omega-3 supplementation and Individual-Family Psychoeducational Psychotherapy (PEP). Ninety-five youth (56.8% male, 61.1% White) ages 7–14 with mood disorders completed screening and baseline assessments (including Clinical Global Impressions–Improvement [CGI-I], Children’s Depression Rating Scale–Revised, Young Mania Rating Scale), then were randomized into a 12-week trial of omega-3, PEP, their combination, or placebo. Between screening and randomization, 35.8% minimally improved (CGI-I = 3), 12.6% much improved (CGI-I < 3), totaling 48.4% improved. Caregiver postsecondary education (p = .018), absence of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (p = .027), and lower screen depression severity (p = .034) were associated with CGI-I. Caregiver postsecondary education (p = .020) and absence of a disruptive behavior diagnosis (p = .038) were associated with depression severity improvement. Prerandomization improvement moderated treatment outcomes: Among youth who improved prerandomization, those who received PEP (alone or with omega-3) had more favorable placebo-controlled depression trajectories due to a lack of placebo response. This open-label trial of psychodiagnostic assessment provides suggestive evidence that psychodiagnostic assessment is beneficial, especially for those with depression and without externalizing disorders. Prerandomization improvement is associated with better placebo-controlled treatment response. Future research should test alternative hypotheses for change and determine if less intensive (shorter and/or automated) assessments would provide comparable results.
|Original language||English (US)|
|Journal||Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology|
|State||Published - Mar 29 2019|
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Developmental and Educational Psychology
- Clinical Psychology