Part I. DNA flow cytometry as a prognostic indicator in head and neck cancer

Manning M. Goldsmith, David H. Cresson, Larry A. Arnold, Duncan S. Postma, Frederic B Askin, Harold C. Pillsbury

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

The prognostic significance of deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) flow cytometry has been investigated for many solid tumors, but few data have been accumulated for squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck. To our knowledge, we report the largest number of patients (69) with head and neck primary carcinomas to be studied by DNA flow cytometry. In the first part of this study, we reviewed 109 consecutive patients with laryngeal or hypopharyngeal primary carcinomas which were treated at North Carolina Memorial Hospital during the period of 1981 to 1984. The final analysis comprised 139 DNA histograms (mean coefficient of variation: 8.02) on paraffin-embedded specimens from 48 patients. Of the 48 patients with primary carcinomas, 24 had glottic, 18 had supraglottic, and 6 had carcinomas from the piriform sinus. Patients had follow-up for a minimum of 12 months, with a mean follow-up period of 23 months. Twenty-three of the 48 primary carcinomas (48%) were clearly aneuploid, and the remaining 52% were tetraploid (22%) or diploid (30%). We have concluded that patients with clearly aneuploid primary carcinomas had significantly better prognoses than those with diploid tumors (p = 0.008). High DNA amounts (greater than 40% of cells beyond the diploid peak, DNA G1GO) also correlated with a favorable prognosis when compared with low DNA amounts (p

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)307-318
Number of pages12
JournalOtolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Volume96
Issue number4
DOIs
StatePublished - 1987
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Head and Neck Neoplasms
Flow Cytometry
Carcinoma
DNA
Diploidy
Aneuploidy
Pyriform Sinus
Tetraploidy
Tongue
Paraffin
Neoplasms
Neck
Head

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Otorhinolaryngology
  • Surgery

Cite this

Part I. DNA flow cytometry as a prognostic indicator in head and neck cancer. / Goldsmith, Manning M.; Cresson, David H.; Arnold, Larry A.; Postma, Duncan S.; Askin, Frederic B; Pillsbury, Harold C.

In: Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, Vol. 96, No. 4, 1987, p. 307-318.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Goldsmith, Manning M. ; Cresson, David H. ; Arnold, Larry A. ; Postma, Duncan S. ; Askin, Frederic B ; Pillsbury, Harold C. / Part I. DNA flow cytometry as a prognostic indicator in head and neck cancer. In: Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery. 1987 ; Vol. 96, No. 4. pp. 307-318.
@article{039a61ba3ef6447488482880e2a5c7ed,
title = "Part I. DNA flow cytometry as a prognostic indicator in head and neck cancer",
abstract = "The prognostic significance of deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) flow cytometry has been investigated for many solid tumors, but few data have been accumulated for squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck. To our knowledge, we report the largest number of patients (69) with head and neck primary carcinomas to be studied by DNA flow cytometry. In the first part of this study, we reviewed 109 consecutive patients with laryngeal or hypopharyngeal primary carcinomas which were treated at North Carolina Memorial Hospital during the period of 1981 to 1984. The final analysis comprised 139 DNA histograms (mean coefficient of variation: 8.02) on paraffin-embedded specimens from 48 patients. Of the 48 patients with primary carcinomas, 24 had glottic, 18 had supraglottic, and 6 had carcinomas from the piriform sinus. Patients had follow-up for a minimum of 12 months, with a mean follow-up period of 23 months. Twenty-three of the 48 primary carcinomas (48{\%}) were clearly aneuploid, and the remaining 52{\%} were tetraploid (22{\%}) or diploid (30{\%}). We have concluded that patients with clearly aneuploid primary carcinomas had significantly better prognoses than those with diploid tumors (p = 0.008). High DNA amounts (greater than 40{\%} of cells beyond the diploid peak, DNA G1GO) also correlated with a favorable prognosis when compared with low DNA amounts (p",
author = "Goldsmith, {Manning M.} and Cresson, {David H.} and Arnold, {Larry A.} and Postma, {Duncan S.} and Askin, {Frederic B} and Pillsbury, {Harold C.}",
year = "1987",
doi = "10.1177/019459988709600402",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "96",
pages = "307--318",
journal = "Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery",
issn = "0194-5998",
publisher = "Mosby Inc.",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Part I. DNA flow cytometry as a prognostic indicator in head and neck cancer

AU - Goldsmith, Manning M.

AU - Cresson, David H.

AU - Arnold, Larry A.

AU - Postma, Duncan S.

AU - Askin, Frederic B

AU - Pillsbury, Harold C.

PY - 1987

Y1 - 1987

N2 - The prognostic significance of deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) flow cytometry has been investigated for many solid tumors, but few data have been accumulated for squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck. To our knowledge, we report the largest number of patients (69) with head and neck primary carcinomas to be studied by DNA flow cytometry. In the first part of this study, we reviewed 109 consecutive patients with laryngeal or hypopharyngeal primary carcinomas which were treated at North Carolina Memorial Hospital during the period of 1981 to 1984. The final analysis comprised 139 DNA histograms (mean coefficient of variation: 8.02) on paraffin-embedded specimens from 48 patients. Of the 48 patients with primary carcinomas, 24 had glottic, 18 had supraglottic, and 6 had carcinomas from the piriform sinus. Patients had follow-up for a minimum of 12 months, with a mean follow-up period of 23 months. Twenty-three of the 48 primary carcinomas (48%) were clearly aneuploid, and the remaining 52% were tetraploid (22%) or diploid (30%). We have concluded that patients with clearly aneuploid primary carcinomas had significantly better prognoses than those with diploid tumors (p = 0.008). High DNA amounts (greater than 40% of cells beyond the diploid peak, DNA G1GO) also correlated with a favorable prognosis when compared with low DNA amounts (p

AB - The prognostic significance of deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) flow cytometry has been investigated for many solid tumors, but few data have been accumulated for squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck. To our knowledge, we report the largest number of patients (69) with head and neck primary carcinomas to be studied by DNA flow cytometry. In the first part of this study, we reviewed 109 consecutive patients with laryngeal or hypopharyngeal primary carcinomas which were treated at North Carolina Memorial Hospital during the period of 1981 to 1984. The final analysis comprised 139 DNA histograms (mean coefficient of variation: 8.02) on paraffin-embedded specimens from 48 patients. Of the 48 patients with primary carcinomas, 24 had glottic, 18 had supraglottic, and 6 had carcinomas from the piriform sinus. Patients had follow-up for a minimum of 12 months, with a mean follow-up period of 23 months. Twenty-three of the 48 primary carcinomas (48%) were clearly aneuploid, and the remaining 52% were tetraploid (22%) or diploid (30%). We have concluded that patients with clearly aneuploid primary carcinomas had significantly better prognoses than those with diploid tumors (p = 0.008). High DNA amounts (greater than 40% of cells beyond the diploid peak, DNA G1GO) also correlated with a favorable prognosis when compared with low DNA amounts (p

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0023319538&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0023319538&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1177/019459988709600402

DO - 10.1177/019459988709600402

M3 - Article

C2 - 3108817

AN - SCOPUS:0023319538

VL - 96

SP - 307

EP - 318

JO - Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery

JF - Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery

SN - 0194-5998

IS - 4

ER -