Nonmelanoma cutaneous malignancies

Montgomery Gillard, Timothy S. Wang, Timothy M. Johnson

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingChapter

Abstract

The nonmelanoma skin cancers (NMSC) are the most common human cancer type. More than half of all cancers diagnosed in the United States are NMSC. In the year 2003, more than 1.3 million new cases of NMSC will be diagnosed.1 One in 5 Americans born in 2003 will be diagnosed with skin cancer in their lifetime. Recent publications and articles in the lay press have labeled nonmelanoma NMSC as today's epidemic. The incidence of NMSC has been rising since the 1960s at 4% to 8% per year.3 Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) and squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) account for 96% of new cases of NMSC. The remaining 4% consists of many other types of NMSC, but given their low incidence, discussion of these lesions is beyond the scope of this chapter.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Title of host publicationOncology
Subtitle of host publicationAn Evidence-Based Approach
PublisherSpringer New York
Pages1102-1118
Number of pages17
ISBN (Print)0387242910, 9780387242910
DOIs
StatePublished - Dec 1 2006

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine(all)

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Nonmelanoma cutaneous malignancies'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this