Nonampullary duodenal polyps

characteristics and endoscopic management

Rami Abbass, Johanne Rigaux, Firas Al Kawas

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Background: Guidelines for endoscopic resection and surveillance of nonampullary duodenal (NAD) polyps are still not well-defined. Objective: To describe the characteristics of NAD polyps and evaluate the role of endoscopic management. Design: Retrospective review. Setting: Tertiary-care academic center. Patients: This study involved 59 patients with NAD polyps. Intervention: Endoscopic polypectomy, biopsy, and argon plasma coagulation. Main Outcome Measurements: Complete polypectomy, complications, and recurrence. Results: Ninety-six endoscopies were performed. The mean patient age was 62.8 years. The mean (± standard deviation) polyp size was 17.2 mm ± 1.6 mm. The mean follow-up time was 26 months. Most lesions were sessile, solitary, and located in the descending duodenum. The procedure most often performed was submucosal injection followed by snare polypectomy. Adenomas were found in 68% of lesions overall and in 84% of lesions >2 cm. Successful resection was accomplished in 93% of cases on the initial attempt. Multiple endoscopies were needed in 5% of cases. The overall complete resection rate was 98%. Recurrence was documented in 37% of cases. Complications occurred in 5.2% of patients. Polyps of >2 cm were associated with higher rates of adenoma and a higher incidence of recurrence. Colon adenomas were found in 53% of patients with duodenal adenomas. Limitations: Retrospective review. Not all patients underwent colonoscopy. Conclusion: NAD polyps were large, sessile, and more commonly found in the second portion of the duodenum. They are more likely to be adenomatous when the lesion size is >2 cm. Despite successful endoscopic management, over one third of lesions demonstrated recurrence.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)754-759
Number of pages6
JournalGastrointestinal Endoscopy
Volume71
Issue number4
DOIs
StatePublished - Apr 2010
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Polyps
Adenoma
Recurrence
Duodenum
Endoscopy
Argon Plasma Coagulation
Colonoscopy
Tertiary Care Centers
Colon
Guidelines
Biopsy
Injections
Incidence

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Gastroenterology
  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging

Cite this

Nonampullary duodenal polyps : characteristics and endoscopic management. / Abbass, Rami; Rigaux, Johanne; Al Kawas, Firas.

In: Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, Vol. 71, No. 4, 04.2010, p. 754-759.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{3eca75a2f14c4274afb8e537e95e8838,
title = "Nonampullary duodenal polyps: characteristics and endoscopic management",
abstract = "Background: Guidelines for endoscopic resection and surveillance of nonampullary duodenal (NAD) polyps are still not well-defined. Objective: To describe the characteristics of NAD polyps and evaluate the role of endoscopic management. Design: Retrospective review. Setting: Tertiary-care academic center. Patients: This study involved 59 patients with NAD polyps. Intervention: Endoscopic polypectomy, biopsy, and argon plasma coagulation. Main Outcome Measurements: Complete polypectomy, complications, and recurrence. Results: Ninety-six endoscopies were performed. The mean patient age was 62.8 years. The mean (± standard deviation) polyp size was 17.2 mm ± 1.6 mm. The mean follow-up time was 26 months. Most lesions were sessile, solitary, and located in the descending duodenum. The procedure most often performed was submucosal injection followed by snare polypectomy. Adenomas were found in 68{\%} of lesions overall and in 84{\%} of lesions >2 cm. Successful resection was accomplished in 93{\%} of cases on the initial attempt. Multiple endoscopies were needed in 5{\%} of cases. The overall complete resection rate was 98{\%}. Recurrence was documented in 37{\%} of cases. Complications occurred in 5.2{\%} of patients. Polyps of >2 cm were associated with higher rates of adenoma and a higher incidence of recurrence. Colon adenomas were found in 53{\%} of patients with duodenal adenomas. Limitations: Retrospective review. Not all patients underwent colonoscopy. Conclusion: NAD polyps were large, sessile, and more commonly found in the second portion of the duodenum. They are more likely to be adenomatous when the lesion size is >2 cm. Despite successful endoscopic management, over one third of lesions demonstrated recurrence.",
author = "Rami Abbass and Johanne Rigaux and {Al Kawas}, Firas",
year = "2010",
month = "4",
doi = "10.1016/j.gie.2009.11.043",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "71",
pages = "754--759",
journal = "Gastrointestinal Endoscopy",
issn = "0016-5107",
publisher = "Mosby Inc.",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Nonampullary duodenal polyps

T2 - characteristics and endoscopic management

AU - Abbass, Rami

AU - Rigaux, Johanne

AU - Al Kawas, Firas

PY - 2010/4

Y1 - 2010/4

N2 - Background: Guidelines for endoscopic resection and surveillance of nonampullary duodenal (NAD) polyps are still not well-defined. Objective: To describe the characteristics of NAD polyps and evaluate the role of endoscopic management. Design: Retrospective review. Setting: Tertiary-care academic center. Patients: This study involved 59 patients with NAD polyps. Intervention: Endoscopic polypectomy, biopsy, and argon plasma coagulation. Main Outcome Measurements: Complete polypectomy, complications, and recurrence. Results: Ninety-six endoscopies were performed. The mean patient age was 62.8 years. The mean (± standard deviation) polyp size was 17.2 mm ± 1.6 mm. The mean follow-up time was 26 months. Most lesions were sessile, solitary, and located in the descending duodenum. The procedure most often performed was submucosal injection followed by snare polypectomy. Adenomas were found in 68% of lesions overall and in 84% of lesions >2 cm. Successful resection was accomplished in 93% of cases on the initial attempt. Multiple endoscopies were needed in 5% of cases. The overall complete resection rate was 98%. Recurrence was documented in 37% of cases. Complications occurred in 5.2% of patients. Polyps of >2 cm were associated with higher rates of adenoma and a higher incidence of recurrence. Colon adenomas were found in 53% of patients with duodenal adenomas. Limitations: Retrospective review. Not all patients underwent colonoscopy. Conclusion: NAD polyps were large, sessile, and more commonly found in the second portion of the duodenum. They are more likely to be adenomatous when the lesion size is >2 cm. Despite successful endoscopic management, over one third of lesions demonstrated recurrence.

AB - Background: Guidelines for endoscopic resection and surveillance of nonampullary duodenal (NAD) polyps are still not well-defined. Objective: To describe the characteristics of NAD polyps and evaluate the role of endoscopic management. Design: Retrospective review. Setting: Tertiary-care academic center. Patients: This study involved 59 patients with NAD polyps. Intervention: Endoscopic polypectomy, biopsy, and argon plasma coagulation. Main Outcome Measurements: Complete polypectomy, complications, and recurrence. Results: Ninety-six endoscopies were performed. The mean patient age was 62.8 years. The mean (± standard deviation) polyp size was 17.2 mm ± 1.6 mm. The mean follow-up time was 26 months. Most lesions were sessile, solitary, and located in the descending duodenum. The procedure most often performed was submucosal injection followed by snare polypectomy. Adenomas were found in 68% of lesions overall and in 84% of lesions >2 cm. Successful resection was accomplished in 93% of cases on the initial attempt. Multiple endoscopies were needed in 5% of cases. The overall complete resection rate was 98%. Recurrence was documented in 37% of cases. Complications occurred in 5.2% of patients. Polyps of >2 cm were associated with higher rates of adenoma and a higher incidence of recurrence. Colon adenomas were found in 53% of patients with duodenal adenomas. Limitations: Retrospective review. Not all patients underwent colonoscopy. Conclusion: NAD polyps were large, sessile, and more commonly found in the second portion of the duodenum. They are more likely to be adenomatous when the lesion size is >2 cm. Despite successful endoscopic management, over one third of lesions demonstrated recurrence.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=77950269758&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=77950269758&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.gie.2009.11.043

DO - 10.1016/j.gie.2009.11.043

M3 - Article

VL - 71

SP - 754

EP - 759

JO - Gastrointestinal Endoscopy

JF - Gastrointestinal Endoscopy

SN - 0016-5107

IS - 4

ER -