Morphology, surface markers, and in vitro responses of a human leukemic T cell

Richard A. Insel, F. M. Melewicz, Mariano F. La Via, Charles M. Balch

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


The peripheral blood lymphocytes of a patient with clinically diagnosed chronic lymphocytic leukemia were studied morphologically and functionally. They appeared to be classical small lymphocytes with no features of Sezary cells. Only 1% of the cells stained positively with fluorescent anti Ig sera or with aggregated Ig, and 5% formed rosettes with sheep erythrocytes coated with antibody and human complement (EAC). On the other hand, 95% of the lymphocytes formed spontaneous rosettes with sheep erythrocytes, and 95% or greater were killed by antiserum raised to T lymphocytes. The proliferative responses also indicated that these cells reacted as T cells. It is interesting that while the cells from this patient stimulated very well in a mixed lymphocyte reaction, they were not stimulated by the lymphocytes of three individuals. Our results indicate that this is a T cell leukemia, and the results of the MLR seem to point that the cell proliferates as a clone.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)382-391
Number of pages10
JournalClinical Immunology and Immunopathology
Issue number3
StatePublished - Sep 1975
Externally publishedYes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Immunology and Allergy
  • Pathology and Forensic Medicine
  • Immunology


Dive into the research topics of 'Morphology, surface markers, and in vitro responses of a human leukemic T cell'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this