Molecular mechanisms of monocyte adhesion to interleukin-1β-stimulated endothelial cells under physiologic flow conditions

Sharad Kukreti, Konstantinos Konstantopoulos, C. Wayne Smith, Larry V. McIntire

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

This study identifies multiple pathways used by monocytes to adhere to 4-hour interleukin-1β stimulated human umbilical vein endothelial cells under flow conditions. Physiologic shear stresses were simulated in a flow chamber with parallel plate geometry; quantitation of primary adhesion, secondary adhesion, and transmigration was performed using phase contrast videomicroscopy. Neuraminidase treatment of monocytes reduced primary interaction by 50%, whereas blocking L-selectin or very late antigen-4 showed significant but smaller effects (~ 30% inhibition). However, a combined treatment against all three pathways was able to reduce interaction by 80%. Blocking β2 and α4 integrin pathways together inhibited secondary/firm adhesion by 75%. Only 40% of firmly adherent monocytes transmigrated across the endothelial monolayer with significantly increased transmigration times when both β2 and α4 integrins were blocked. These results demonstrate that monocytes can use multiple receptors to interact with endothelial cells at both primary and secondary adhesion stages, and that these pathways have to be blocked simultaneously for maximum inhibition.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)4104-4111
Number of pages8
JournalBlood
Volume89
Issue number11
DOIs
StatePublished - Jun 1 1997
Externally publishedYes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Biochemistry
  • Immunology
  • Hematology
  • Cell Biology

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Molecular mechanisms of monocyte adhesion to interleukin-1β-stimulated endothelial cells under physiologic flow conditions'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this