Background: In a collaborative study, patients with untreated normal-tension glaucoma were randomly assigned to a marked intraocular pressure reduction group or to a no therapy group. It was anticipated that medical therapy and laser trabeculoplasty would generally not achieve adequate pressure lowering and that fistulizing surgery would be required. This hypothesis was examined using current observations in the study. Methods: Patients randomized to the therapy group had a pressure reduction of at least 30% from their last prerandomization level. This was achieved within 6 months by means of fistulizing surgery or with pilocarpine and/or laser trabeculoplasty. Betablockers and adrenergic agonists were excluded from both eyes. Results: Of 30 patients with documented stable 30% pressure reduction, 17 (57%) achieved this with topical medication and/or laser trabeculoplasty: 8 with pilocarpine alone, 2 with laser trabeculoplasty alone, and 7 with laser trabeculoplasty after initial topical medication. The remaining 13 (43%) patients required a single fistulizing procedure. There was no statistically significant difference between the mean follow-up time for the nonfistulized group (533.8 ± 437.6 days) and for the fistulized group (502.7 ± 344.7 days). Both treatment groups had similar baseline profiles. Conclusion: Marked pressure reduction can be achieved and maintained on a longterm basis by means other than fistulizing surgery in a large proportion of patients with untreated normal-tension glaucoma.
ASJC Scopus subject areas