Infant growth outcomes after maternal tenofovir disoproxil fumarate use during pregnancy.

Carla E. Ransom, Yanling Huo, Kunjal Patel, Gwendolyn B. Scott, Heather D. Watts, Paige Williams, George K. Siberry, Elizabeth G. Livingston

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

To determine whether maternal use of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate for treatment of HIV in pregnancy predicts fetal and infant growth. The study population included HIV-uninfected live-born singleton infants of mothers enrolled in the International Maternal Pediatric Adolescent AIDS Clinical Trials Group protocol P1025 (born 2002-2011) in the United States and exposed in utero to a combined (triple or more) antiretroviral regimen. Infant weight at birth and 6 months was compared between infants exposed and unexposed to tenofovir in utero using 2-sample t test, χ test, and multivariable linear and logistic regression models, including demographic and maternal characteristics. Among 2025 infants with measured birth weight, there was no difference between those exposed (N = 630, 31%) versus unexposed to tenofovir in mean birth weight (2.75 vs. 2.77 kg, P = 0.64) or mean gestational age- and sex-adjusted birth weight z-score (WASZ) (0.14 vs. 0.14, P = 0.90). Among 1496 infants followed for 6 months, there was no difference in mean weight at 6 months between tenofovir-exposed (N = 457, 31%) and tenofovir-unexposed infants (7.64 vs. 7.59 kg, P = 0.52) or in mean WASZ (0.29 vs. 0.26, P = 0.61). Tenofovir exposure during the second/third trimester, relative to no exposure, significantly predicted underweight (WASZ <5%) at age 6 months [odds ratio (95% confidence interval): 2.06 (1.01 to 3.95), P = 0.04]. Duration of tenofovir exposure did not predict neonatal or infant growth. By most measures, in utero exposure to tenofovir did not significantly predict infant birth weight or growth through 6 months of age.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)374-381
Number of pages8
JournalJournal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes
Volume64
Issue number4
StatePublished - Dec 1 2013
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Tenofovir
Mothers
Pregnancy
Birth Weight
Growth
Logistic Models
HIV
Thinness
Third Pregnancy Trimester
Second Pregnancy Trimester

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine(all)

Cite this

Ransom, C. E., Huo, Y., Patel, K., Scott, G. B., Watts, H. D., Williams, P., ... Livingston, E. G. (2013). Infant growth outcomes after maternal tenofovir disoproxil fumarate use during pregnancy. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, 64(4), 374-381.

Infant growth outcomes after maternal tenofovir disoproxil fumarate use during pregnancy. / Ransom, Carla E.; Huo, Yanling; Patel, Kunjal; Scott, Gwendolyn B.; Watts, Heather D.; Williams, Paige; Siberry, George K.; Livingston, Elizabeth G.

In: Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, Vol. 64, No. 4, 01.12.2013, p. 374-381.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Ransom, CE, Huo, Y, Patel, K, Scott, GB, Watts, HD, Williams, P, Siberry, GK & Livingston, EG 2013, 'Infant growth outcomes after maternal tenofovir disoproxil fumarate use during pregnancy.', Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 374-381.
Ransom CE, Huo Y, Patel K, Scott GB, Watts HD, Williams P et al. Infant growth outcomes after maternal tenofovir disoproxil fumarate use during pregnancy. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes. 2013 Dec 1;64(4):374-381.
Ransom, Carla E. ; Huo, Yanling ; Patel, Kunjal ; Scott, Gwendolyn B. ; Watts, Heather D. ; Williams, Paige ; Siberry, George K. ; Livingston, Elizabeth G. / Infant growth outcomes after maternal tenofovir disoproxil fumarate use during pregnancy. In: Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes. 2013 ; Vol. 64, No. 4. pp. 374-381.
@article{2d6e2ccca5cf476fa5afdd179ed70eda,
title = "Infant growth outcomes after maternal tenofovir disoproxil fumarate use during pregnancy.",
abstract = "To determine whether maternal use of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate for treatment of HIV in pregnancy predicts fetal and infant growth. The study population included HIV-uninfected live-born singleton infants of mothers enrolled in the International Maternal Pediatric Adolescent AIDS Clinical Trials Group protocol P1025 (born 2002-2011) in the United States and exposed in utero to a combined (triple or more) antiretroviral regimen. Infant weight at birth and 6 months was compared between infants exposed and unexposed to tenofovir in utero using 2-sample t test, χ test, and multivariable linear and logistic regression models, including demographic and maternal characteristics. Among 2025 infants with measured birth weight, there was no difference between those exposed (N = 630, 31{\%}) versus unexposed to tenofovir in mean birth weight (2.75 vs. 2.77 kg, P = 0.64) or mean gestational age- and sex-adjusted birth weight z-score (WASZ) (0.14 vs. 0.14, P = 0.90). Among 1496 infants followed for 6 months, there was no difference in mean weight at 6 months between tenofovir-exposed (N = 457, 31{\%}) and tenofovir-unexposed infants (7.64 vs. 7.59 kg, P = 0.52) or in mean WASZ (0.29 vs. 0.26, P = 0.61). Tenofovir exposure during the second/third trimester, relative to no exposure, significantly predicted underweight (WASZ <5{\%}) at age 6 months [odds ratio (95{\%} confidence interval): 2.06 (1.01 to 3.95), P = 0.04]. Duration of tenofovir exposure did not predict neonatal or infant growth. By most measures, in utero exposure to tenofovir did not significantly predict infant birth weight or growth through 6 months of age.",
author = "Ransom, {Carla E.} and Yanling Huo and Kunjal Patel and Scott, {Gwendolyn B.} and Watts, {Heather D.} and Paige Williams and Siberry, {George K.} and Livingston, {Elizabeth G.}",
year = "2013",
month = "12",
day = "1",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "64",
pages = "374--381",
journal = "Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes",
issn = "1525-4135",
publisher = "Lippincott Williams and Wilkins",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Infant growth outcomes after maternal tenofovir disoproxil fumarate use during pregnancy.

AU - Ransom, Carla E.

AU - Huo, Yanling

AU - Patel, Kunjal

AU - Scott, Gwendolyn B.

AU - Watts, Heather D.

AU - Williams, Paige

AU - Siberry, George K.

AU - Livingston, Elizabeth G.

PY - 2013/12/1

Y1 - 2013/12/1

N2 - To determine whether maternal use of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate for treatment of HIV in pregnancy predicts fetal and infant growth. The study population included HIV-uninfected live-born singleton infants of mothers enrolled in the International Maternal Pediatric Adolescent AIDS Clinical Trials Group protocol P1025 (born 2002-2011) in the United States and exposed in utero to a combined (triple or more) antiretroviral regimen. Infant weight at birth and 6 months was compared between infants exposed and unexposed to tenofovir in utero using 2-sample t test, χ test, and multivariable linear and logistic regression models, including demographic and maternal characteristics. Among 2025 infants with measured birth weight, there was no difference between those exposed (N = 630, 31%) versus unexposed to tenofovir in mean birth weight (2.75 vs. 2.77 kg, P = 0.64) or mean gestational age- and sex-adjusted birth weight z-score (WASZ) (0.14 vs. 0.14, P = 0.90). Among 1496 infants followed for 6 months, there was no difference in mean weight at 6 months between tenofovir-exposed (N = 457, 31%) and tenofovir-unexposed infants (7.64 vs. 7.59 kg, P = 0.52) or in mean WASZ (0.29 vs. 0.26, P = 0.61). Tenofovir exposure during the second/third trimester, relative to no exposure, significantly predicted underweight (WASZ <5%) at age 6 months [odds ratio (95% confidence interval): 2.06 (1.01 to 3.95), P = 0.04]. Duration of tenofovir exposure did not predict neonatal or infant growth. By most measures, in utero exposure to tenofovir did not significantly predict infant birth weight or growth through 6 months of age.

AB - To determine whether maternal use of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate for treatment of HIV in pregnancy predicts fetal and infant growth. The study population included HIV-uninfected live-born singleton infants of mothers enrolled in the International Maternal Pediatric Adolescent AIDS Clinical Trials Group protocol P1025 (born 2002-2011) in the United States and exposed in utero to a combined (triple or more) antiretroviral regimen. Infant weight at birth and 6 months was compared between infants exposed and unexposed to tenofovir in utero using 2-sample t test, χ test, and multivariable linear and logistic regression models, including demographic and maternal characteristics. Among 2025 infants with measured birth weight, there was no difference between those exposed (N = 630, 31%) versus unexposed to tenofovir in mean birth weight (2.75 vs. 2.77 kg, P = 0.64) or mean gestational age- and sex-adjusted birth weight z-score (WASZ) (0.14 vs. 0.14, P = 0.90). Among 1496 infants followed for 6 months, there was no difference in mean weight at 6 months between tenofovir-exposed (N = 457, 31%) and tenofovir-unexposed infants (7.64 vs. 7.59 kg, P = 0.52) or in mean WASZ (0.29 vs. 0.26, P = 0.61). Tenofovir exposure during the second/third trimester, relative to no exposure, significantly predicted underweight (WASZ <5%) at age 6 months [odds ratio (95% confidence interval): 2.06 (1.01 to 3.95), P = 0.04]. Duration of tenofovir exposure did not predict neonatal or infant growth. By most measures, in utero exposure to tenofovir did not significantly predict infant birth weight or growth through 6 months of age.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84891915489&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84891915489&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 24169122

AN - SCOPUS:84891915489

VL - 64

SP - 374

EP - 381

JO - Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes

JF - Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes

SN - 1525-4135

IS - 4

ER -