‘Inexperienced’? Patterns in romantic and sexual experiences among urban poor early adolescents in Nairobi, Kenya

Anna E. Kågesten, Caroline W. Kabiru, Beatrice Maina, Danielle German, Robert W Blum

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

The need for early prevention approaches to improve young people’s sexual and reproductive health is gaining attention, yet little is known about the sexual experiences of early adolescents aged 10–14 years. Drawing on cross-sectional survey data collected from 365 early adolescents in a Nairobi slum, we used latent class analysis to identify subgroups based on self-reported awareness about sex and involvement in romantic and sexual activities. Multivariate regression models were fitted to examine the characteristics of each subgroup. Results revealed three subgroups: Involved (12%, high probability of being aware of sex and to have engaged in romantic/sexual activities); Observant (48%, high awareness but little own experience); and Naïve (40%, little awareness or personal experience). Being in the Involved group was associated with older age, having commenced puberty/orphanhood, and living in the least poor households. Findings suggest that while most early adolescents in this setting have not initiated romantic and sexual activities, there are distinct subgroups of who would not be captured by looking only at the prevalence of sexual intercourse. Understanding the characteristics and needs of specific subgroups may help to strengthen efforts to improve young people’s sexual and reproductive health in urban poor environments.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1-18
Number of pages18
JournalCulture, Health and Sexuality
DOIs
StateAccepted/In press - Mar 18 2018

Fingerprint

Kenya
Reproductive Health
Sexual Behavior
adolescent
puberty
experience
self awareness
slum
health
Poverty Areas
Coitus
Puberty
regression
Cross-Sectional Studies
Group

Keywords

  • Early adolescence
  • Kenya
  • sexual behaviour
  • sexual health
  • young people

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Health(social science)
  • Public Health, Environmental and Occupational Health

Cite this

‘Inexperienced’? Patterns in romantic and sexual experiences among urban poor early adolescents in Nairobi, Kenya. / Kågesten, Anna E.; Kabiru, Caroline W.; Maina, Beatrice; German, Danielle; Blum, Robert W.

In: Culture, Health and Sexuality, 18.03.2018, p. 1-18.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{32a14a14edc4447bbd4e1306f495c7a1,
title = "‘Inexperienced’? Patterns in romantic and sexual experiences among urban poor early adolescents in Nairobi, Kenya",
abstract = "The need for early prevention approaches to improve young people’s sexual and reproductive health is gaining attention, yet little is known about the sexual experiences of early adolescents aged 10–14 years. Drawing on cross-sectional survey data collected from 365 early adolescents in a Nairobi slum, we used latent class analysis to identify subgroups based on self-reported awareness about sex and involvement in romantic and sexual activities. Multivariate regression models were fitted to examine the characteristics of each subgroup. Results revealed three subgroups: Involved (12{\%}, high probability of being aware of sex and to have engaged in romantic/sexual activities); Observant (48{\%}, high awareness but little own experience); and Na{\"i}ve (40{\%}, little awareness or personal experience). Being in the Involved group was associated with older age, having commenced puberty/orphanhood, and living in the least poor households. Findings suggest that while most early adolescents in this setting have not initiated romantic and sexual activities, there are distinct subgroups of who would not be captured by looking only at the prevalence of sexual intercourse. Understanding the characteristics and needs of specific subgroups may help to strengthen efforts to improve young people’s sexual and reproductive health in urban poor environments.",
keywords = "Early adolescence, Kenya, sexual behaviour, sexual health, young people",
author = "K{\aa}gesten, {Anna E.} and Kabiru, {Caroline W.} and Beatrice Maina and Danielle German and Blum, {Robert W}",
year = "2018",
month = "3",
day = "18",
doi = "10.1080/13691058.2018.1432765",
language = "English (US)",
pages = "1--18",
journal = "Culture, Health and Sexuality",
issn = "1369-1058",
publisher = "Routledge",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - ‘Inexperienced’? Patterns in romantic and sexual experiences among urban poor early adolescents in Nairobi, Kenya

AU - Kågesten, Anna E.

AU - Kabiru, Caroline W.

AU - Maina, Beatrice

AU - German, Danielle

AU - Blum, Robert W

PY - 2018/3/18

Y1 - 2018/3/18

N2 - The need for early prevention approaches to improve young people’s sexual and reproductive health is gaining attention, yet little is known about the sexual experiences of early adolescents aged 10–14 years. Drawing on cross-sectional survey data collected from 365 early adolescents in a Nairobi slum, we used latent class analysis to identify subgroups based on self-reported awareness about sex and involvement in romantic and sexual activities. Multivariate regression models were fitted to examine the characteristics of each subgroup. Results revealed three subgroups: Involved (12%, high probability of being aware of sex and to have engaged in romantic/sexual activities); Observant (48%, high awareness but little own experience); and Naïve (40%, little awareness or personal experience). Being in the Involved group was associated with older age, having commenced puberty/orphanhood, and living in the least poor households. Findings suggest that while most early adolescents in this setting have not initiated romantic and sexual activities, there are distinct subgroups of who would not be captured by looking only at the prevalence of sexual intercourse. Understanding the characteristics and needs of specific subgroups may help to strengthen efforts to improve young people’s sexual and reproductive health in urban poor environments.

AB - The need for early prevention approaches to improve young people’s sexual and reproductive health is gaining attention, yet little is known about the sexual experiences of early adolescents aged 10–14 years. Drawing on cross-sectional survey data collected from 365 early adolescents in a Nairobi slum, we used latent class analysis to identify subgroups based on self-reported awareness about sex and involvement in romantic and sexual activities. Multivariate regression models were fitted to examine the characteristics of each subgroup. Results revealed three subgroups: Involved (12%, high probability of being aware of sex and to have engaged in romantic/sexual activities); Observant (48%, high awareness but little own experience); and Naïve (40%, little awareness or personal experience). Being in the Involved group was associated with older age, having commenced puberty/orphanhood, and living in the least poor households. Findings suggest that while most early adolescents in this setting have not initiated romantic and sexual activities, there are distinct subgroups of who would not be captured by looking only at the prevalence of sexual intercourse. Understanding the characteristics and needs of specific subgroups may help to strengthen efforts to improve young people’s sexual and reproductive health in urban poor environments.

KW - Early adolescence

KW - Kenya

KW - sexual behaviour

KW - sexual health

KW - young people

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85044210520&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85044210520&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1080/13691058.2018.1432765

DO - 10.1080/13691058.2018.1432765

M3 - Article

C2 - 29558253

AN - SCOPUS:85044210520

SP - 1

EP - 18

JO - Culture, Health and Sexuality

JF - Culture, Health and Sexuality

SN - 1369-1058

ER -