Genotypic and phenotypic characterization of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 isolates circulating in pregnant women from Mozambique

Celina Monteiro Abreu, Patrícia A. Brindeiro, Angélica N. Martins, Mônica B. Arruda, Emilio Bule, Sergio Stakteas, Amilcar Tanuri, Rodrigo De Moraes Brindeiro

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

This work evaluated HIV-1 subtypes from different geographic regions and phenotypic data from drug-naïve HIV-positive pregnant women from Mozambique. We analyzed 75 pol sequences from patients and the distribution of the subtypes in three regions of Mozambique and found that the majority of samples analyzed clustered with subtype C. In the northern region, multiple variants were found 5 (~18%) subtype A, 3 (~11%) subtype D and 2 (~7.1%) mosaics (A/C/D and C/D), whereas 18 (64.3%) isolates were subtype C, from a total of 28 samples. Already in the southern region, only one (5%) isolate of 20 samples was subtype D, and the other 19 (95%) isolates were subtype C. All 27 (100%) isolates from the central region grouped within clade C. No primary resistance mutations to IP, NNRTI or NRTI were found. There was no evidence of phenotypic resistance in any of the isolates tested, suggesting that neither the polymorphism in the protease, nor the one found at codon 215 of the RT gene caused an increase in phenotypic resistance. This finding suggests that HAART regimens indicated by WHO will probably be successful in Mozambique.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)2013-2017
Number of pages5
JournalArchives of Virology
Volume153
Issue number11
DOIs
StatePublished - Nov 2008
Externally publishedYes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Virology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Genotypic and phenotypic characterization of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 isolates circulating in pregnant women from Mozambique'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this