Five‐year survival of patients with disseminated nonseminomatous testicular cancer treated with cisplatin, vinblastine, and bleomycin

Gerrit Stoter, Cornelis P J Vendrik, Albert Struyvenberg, Dirk Th Sleyfer, Rob Vriesendorp, Heimen Schraffordt Koops, Allan T. van Oosterom, Wim W Bokkel Ten Huinink, Herbert M. Pinedo

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Ninety‐one patients with disseminated testicular non‐seminomas were treated with 3 to 4 cycles of cisplatin, vinblastine, and bleomycin (PVB) induction chemotherapy followed by cisplatin and vinblastine maintenance therapy for 1 year. The follow‐up of these patients ranges from 24 to 66 months. Forty‐nine (54%) patients achieved complete remission by chemotherapy alone and 14 (15%) were rendered free of tumor by surgery after chemotherapy, for a total complete remission rate of 69%. Three complete responders relapsed within 13 months, and two died. One additional complete responder died of a non‐cancer‐related cause. One of the surgical complete responders relapsed and died. Overall, 58 (64%) patients remain free of disease. The 5‐year survival is 95% for complete responders, 32% for partial responders, and 72% overall. This combination regimen has significantly improved the survival of disseminated testicular cancer patients, equaling that of Stage II patients in older literature.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1521-1524
Number of pages4
JournalCancer
Volume54
Issue number8
DOIs
StatePublished - 1984
Externally publishedYes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Five‐year survival of patients with disseminated nonseminomatous testicular cancer treated with cisplatin, vinblastine, and bleomycin'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this