Extended follow-up in 212 long-term allogeneic bone marrow transplant survivors: Issues of quality of life

Gerhard M. Schmidt, Joyce C. Niland, Stephen J. Forman, Filar P. Fonbuena, Andrew C. Dagis, Marcia M. Grant, Betty Ferrell, Trilla A. Barr, Barbara A. Stallbaum, Nelson J. Chao, Karl G. Blume

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

A group of 235 allogeneic marrow recipients were contacted at least one year following their BMT to obtain information on their quality of life; 212 (90%) agreed to participate in this survey. A total of 162 adults and 50 pediatrie survivors were interviewed during clinic visits (5%) or over the telephone (95%). Changes in productive activity and marital status at the time of interview were studied, as well as the presence of physical symptoms and perception of a general sense of well-being. Older transplant recipients were observed to have a significantly higher incidence of chronic graft-versushost disease, common colds, and skin changes when compared with pediatrie transplant recipients (P<0.01). Older subjects were also more likely to require any type of regular medication. Younger survivors were rated with a higher Karnofsky performance status and global subjective score. There were no significant differences between patients who received TBI as part of the conditioning regimen and those who did not, with the exception of increased cataract development in pediatrie patients receiving TBI (P<0.008). We conclude that most allogeneic marrow transplant survivors, especially those individuals of younger age at the time of their transplants, are doing well in the domains tested.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)551-557
Number of pages7
JournalTransplantation
Volume55
Issue number3
StatePublished - Jan 1 1993
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Survivors
Bone Marrow
Quality of Life
Transplants
Karnofsky Performance Status
Common Cold
Marital Status
Ambulatory Care
Telephone
Cataract
Interviews
Skin
Incidence
Transplant Recipients
Surveys and Questionnaires
Conditioning (Psychology)

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Transplantation
  • Immunology

Cite this

Schmidt, G. M., Niland, J. C., Forman, S. J., Fonbuena, F. P., Dagis, A. C., Grant, M. M., ... Blume, K. G. (1993). Extended follow-up in 212 long-term allogeneic bone marrow transplant survivors: Issues of quality of life. Transplantation, 55(3), 551-557.

Extended follow-up in 212 long-term allogeneic bone marrow transplant survivors : Issues of quality of life. / Schmidt, Gerhard M.; Niland, Joyce C.; Forman, Stephen J.; Fonbuena, Filar P.; Dagis, Andrew C.; Grant, Marcia M.; Ferrell, Betty; Barr, Trilla A.; Stallbaum, Barbara A.; Chao, Nelson J.; Blume, Karl G.

In: Transplantation, Vol. 55, No. 3, 01.01.1993, p. 551-557.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Schmidt, GM, Niland, JC, Forman, SJ, Fonbuena, FP, Dagis, AC, Grant, MM, Ferrell, B, Barr, TA, Stallbaum, BA, Chao, NJ & Blume, KG 1993, 'Extended follow-up in 212 long-term allogeneic bone marrow transplant survivors: Issues of quality of life', Transplantation, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 551-557.
Schmidt GM, Niland JC, Forman SJ, Fonbuena FP, Dagis AC, Grant MM et al. Extended follow-up in 212 long-term allogeneic bone marrow transplant survivors: Issues of quality of life. Transplantation. 1993 Jan 1;55(3):551-557.
Schmidt, Gerhard M. ; Niland, Joyce C. ; Forman, Stephen J. ; Fonbuena, Filar P. ; Dagis, Andrew C. ; Grant, Marcia M. ; Ferrell, Betty ; Barr, Trilla A. ; Stallbaum, Barbara A. ; Chao, Nelson J. ; Blume, Karl G. / Extended follow-up in 212 long-term allogeneic bone marrow transplant survivors : Issues of quality of life. In: Transplantation. 1993 ; Vol. 55, No. 3. pp. 551-557.
@article{366f447c4e31422782487212bf45db4f,
title = "Extended follow-up in 212 long-term allogeneic bone marrow transplant survivors: Issues of quality of life",
abstract = "A group of 235 allogeneic marrow recipients were contacted at least one year following their BMT to obtain information on their quality of life; 212 (90{\%}) agreed to participate in this survey. A total of 162 adults and 50 pediatrie survivors were interviewed during clinic visits (5{\%}) or over the telephone (95{\%}). Changes in productive activity and marital status at the time of interview were studied, as well as the presence of physical symptoms and perception of a general sense of well-being. Older transplant recipients were observed to have a significantly higher incidence of chronic graft-versushost disease, common colds, and skin changes when compared with pediatrie transplant recipients (P<0.01). Older subjects were also more likely to require any type of regular medication. Younger survivors were rated with a higher Karnofsky performance status and global subjective score. There were no significant differences between patients who received TBI as part of the conditioning regimen and those who did not, with the exception of increased cataract development in pediatrie patients receiving TBI (P<0.008). We conclude that most allogeneic marrow transplant survivors, especially those individuals of younger age at the time of their transplants, are doing well in the domains tested.",
author = "Schmidt, {Gerhard M.} and Niland, {Joyce C.} and Forman, {Stephen J.} and Fonbuena, {Filar P.} and Dagis, {Andrew C.} and Grant, {Marcia M.} and Betty Ferrell and Barr, {Trilla A.} and Stallbaum, {Barbara A.} and Chao, {Nelson J.} and Blume, {Karl G.}",
year = "1993",
month = "1",
day = "1",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "55",
pages = "551--557",
journal = "Transplantation",
issn = "0041-1337",
publisher = "Lippincott Williams and Wilkins",
number = "3",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Extended follow-up in 212 long-term allogeneic bone marrow transplant survivors

T2 - Issues of quality of life

AU - Schmidt, Gerhard M.

AU - Niland, Joyce C.

AU - Forman, Stephen J.

AU - Fonbuena, Filar P.

AU - Dagis, Andrew C.

AU - Grant, Marcia M.

AU - Ferrell, Betty

AU - Barr, Trilla A.

AU - Stallbaum, Barbara A.

AU - Chao, Nelson J.

AU - Blume, Karl G.

PY - 1993/1/1

Y1 - 1993/1/1

N2 - A group of 235 allogeneic marrow recipients were contacted at least one year following their BMT to obtain information on their quality of life; 212 (90%) agreed to participate in this survey. A total of 162 adults and 50 pediatrie survivors were interviewed during clinic visits (5%) or over the telephone (95%). Changes in productive activity and marital status at the time of interview were studied, as well as the presence of physical symptoms and perception of a general sense of well-being. Older transplant recipients were observed to have a significantly higher incidence of chronic graft-versushost disease, common colds, and skin changes when compared with pediatrie transplant recipients (P<0.01). Older subjects were also more likely to require any type of regular medication. Younger survivors were rated with a higher Karnofsky performance status and global subjective score. There were no significant differences between patients who received TBI as part of the conditioning regimen and those who did not, with the exception of increased cataract development in pediatrie patients receiving TBI (P<0.008). We conclude that most allogeneic marrow transplant survivors, especially those individuals of younger age at the time of their transplants, are doing well in the domains tested.

AB - A group of 235 allogeneic marrow recipients were contacted at least one year following their BMT to obtain information on their quality of life; 212 (90%) agreed to participate in this survey. A total of 162 adults and 50 pediatrie survivors were interviewed during clinic visits (5%) or over the telephone (95%). Changes in productive activity and marital status at the time of interview were studied, as well as the presence of physical symptoms and perception of a general sense of well-being. Older transplant recipients were observed to have a significantly higher incidence of chronic graft-versushost disease, common colds, and skin changes when compared with pediatrie transplant recipients (P<0.01). Older subjects were also more likely to require any type of regular medication. Younger survivors were rated with a higher Karnofsky performance status and global subjective score. There were no significant differences between patients who received TBI as part of the conditioning regimen and those who did not, with the exception of increased cataract development in pediatrie patients receiving TBI (P<0.008). We conclude that most allogeneic marrow transplant survivors, especially those individuals of younger age at the time of their transplants, are doing well in the domains tested.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0027474975&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0027474975&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 8456476

AN - SCOPUS:0027474975

VL - 55

SP - 551

EP - 557

JO - Transplantation

JF - Transplantation

SN - 0041-1337

IS - 3

ER -