Early vitrectomy for vitreous hemorrhage associated with retinal tears

H. Stevie Tan, Marco Mura, Heico M. Bijl

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Purpose: To evaluate outcome of early surgery in vitreous hemorrhage, presumably associated with retinal tears. Design: Retrospective, noncomparative interventional case series. Methods: We included 40 consecutive cases in 39 patients treated with early vitrectomy for vitreous hemorrhage. Main outcome measures were incidence of tears identified preoperatively and intraoperatively, visual acuity, and complications. Results: Vitrectomy took place after a mean delay of 2.7 days after presentation. A total of 69 tears were found in 40 eyes; 53.7% of tears were identified preoperatively by funduscopy or ultrasound (U/S) and the remaining 46.3% of tears were only identified during vitrectomy. Visual acuity improved significantly from 1/60 to 0.8. The sensitivity of U/S tear detection was 55.9%. A history of predisposing factors was not related to the risk of presence of unsupported tears. In 2 cases a retinal detachment developed between the U/S evaluation and vitrectomy. Postoperative complications were cataract (30%), macular pucker (2.5%), and retinal detachment (5.0%). Conclusions: Our findings illustrate the potential dangers of a conservative approach to vitreous hemorrhage and show that early vitrectomy has good outcome with acceptable complication rates. Prospective studies on optimal treatment of vitreous hemorrhage associated with tears are needed.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)529-533
Number of pages5
JournalAmerican journal of ophthalmology
Volume150
Issue number4
DOIs
StatePublished - Oct 2010

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Ophthalmology

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Early vitrectomy for vitreous hemorrhage associated with retinal tears'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this