Demographic, clinical and laboratory findings among adult and pediatric patients hospitalized with dengue in the Philippines.

John Mark S Velasco, Ma Theresa P Alera, Charity Ann Ypil-Cardenas, Efren M. Dimaano, Richard G. Jarman, Piyawan Chinnawirotpisan, Butsaya Thaisomboonsuk, In Kyu Yoon, Derek A. Cummings, Mammen P. Mammen

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

We evaluated the differences in demographic, clinical, and laboratory findings between adult and pediatric patients hospitalized with dengue fever. Ninety patients with dengue infection admitted at San Lazaro Hospital (SLH), Manila from September 2005 to January 2006 were included in the study. The cases were laboratory-confirmed to have dengue infection. The majority of dengue cases (92%) had secondary dengue infection (median age = 18, age range: 2-37) while the remainder (8%) had a primary dengue infection (median age = 12, age range: 7-22). Nearly all the patients (99%) had dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF). Sixty-five of the cases (72%) had serotype data: 2 (3%) were dengue virus serotype 1 (DENV-1) (median age = 17), 12 (18%) had DENV-2 (median age = 17.5), 38 (59%) had DENV-3 (median age = 16) and 13 (20%) had DENV-4 (median age = 18). The initial signs, symptoms and laboratory results except hematocrit (p = 0.02) and hemoglobin (p = 0.02) did not differ significantly between adults and children. During the study period, half the cases were adults (218 years; n = 45) and half were children (

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)337-345
Number of pages9
JournalSoutheast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health
Volume45
Issue number2
Publication statusPublished - 2014
Externally publishedYes

    Fingerprint

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Infectious Diseases
  • Public Health, Environmental and Occupational Health

Cite this

Velasco, J. M. S., Alera, M. T. P., Ypil-Cardenas, C. A., Dimaano, E. M., Jarman, R. G., Chinnawirotpisan, P., ... Mammen, M. P. (2014). Demographic, clinical and laboratory findings among adult and pediatric patients hospitalized with dengue in the Philippines. Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health, 45(2), 337-345.