Automated review of blood donor screening test patterns at a regional blood center

J. M. Sorace, G. E. Carnahan, G. W. Moore, J. J. Berman

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Regional blood centers recently increased the number of tests used to protect transfusion recipients from infectious disease. The Food and Drug Administration has noted that computer systems for managing these data have lost donor data or failed to recognize all deferrals. Of 118,396 consecutive donations, including 4,859 records with at least one positive test result, records were analyzed to determine the number and frequency of distinct combinations of test data. A modular precedence-logic expert system assigned donor deferrals and unit dispositions. Ten combinations of data accounted for 4,334 records (89%); the remaining 525 records (11%) were distributed among 85 combinations of test data. The expert system correctly assigned all records. Regional blood centers must interpret a growing number of test results, including donations with a complicated pattern of multiple positive screening test results. The distribution of these data is described and the expert system's ability to monitor deferrals and ensure database completeness is demonstrated.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)334-344
Number of pages11
JournalAmerican Journal of Clinical Pathology
Volume98
Issue number3
StatePublished - 1992
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Donor Selection
Expert Systems
Blood Donors
Tissue Donors
Computer Systems
United States Food and Drug Administration
Communicable Diseases
Databases

Keywords

  • Blood donors
  • Software
  • Verification

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Pathology and Forensic Medicine

Cite this

Sorace, J. M., Carnahan, G. E., Moore, G. W., & Berman, J. J. (1992). Automated review of blood donor screening test patterns at a regional blood center. American Journal of Clinical Pathology, 98(3), 334-344.

Automated review of blood donor screening test patterns at a regional blood center. / Sorace, J. M.; Carnahan, G. E.; Moore, G. W.; Berman, J. J.

In: American Journal of Clinical Pathology, Vol. 98, No. 3, 1992, p. 334-344.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Sorace, JM, Carnahan, GE, Moore, GW & Berman, JJ 1992, 'Automated review of blood donor screening test patterns at a regional blood center', American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 334-344.
Sorace, J. M. ; Carnahan, G. E. ; Moore, G. W. ; Berman, J. J. / Automated review of blood donor screening test patterns at a regional blood center. In: American Journal of Clinical Pathology. 1992 ; Vol. 98, No. 3. pp. 334-344.
@article{caf248c9b5644a44ae5c797902bbf40b,
title = "Automated review of blood donor screening test patterns at a regional blood center",
abstract = "Regional blood centers recently increased the number of tests used to protect transfusion recipients from infectious disease. The Food and Drug Administration has noted that computer systems for managing these data have lost donor data or failed to recognize all deferrals. Of 118,396 consecutive donations, including 4,859 records with at least one positive test result, records were analyzed to determine the number and frequency of distinct combinations of test data. A modular precedence-logic expert system assigned donor deferrals and unit dispositions. Ten combinations of data accounted for 4,334 records (89{\%}); the remaining 525 records (11{\%}) were distributed among 85 combinations of test data. The expert system correctly assigned all records. Regional blood centers must interpret a growing number of test results, including donations with a complicated pattern of multiple positive screening test results. The distribution of these data is described and the expert system's ability to monitor deferrals and ensure database completeness is demonstrated.",
keywords = "Blood donors, Software, Verification",
author = "Sorace, {J. M.} and Carnahan, {G. E.} and Moore, {G. W.} and Berman, {J. J.}",
year = "1992",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "98",
pages = "334--344",
journal = "American Journal of Clinical Pathology",
issn = "0002-9173",
publisher = "American Society of Clinical Pathologists",
number = "3",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Automated review of blood donor screening test patterns at a regional blood center

AU - Sorace, J. M.

AU - Carnahan, G. E.

AU - Moore, G. W.

AU - Berman, J. J.

PY - 1992

Y1 - 1992

N2 - Regional blood centers recently increased the number of tests used to protect transfusion recipients from infectious disease. The Food and Drug Administration has noted that computer systems for managing these data have lost donor data or failed to recognize all deferrals. Of 118,396 consecutive donations, including 4,859 records with at least one positive test result, records were analyzed to determine the number and frequency of distinct combinations of test data. A modular precedence-logic expert system assigned donor deferrals and unit dispositions. Ten combinations of data accounted for 4,334 records (89%); the remaining 525 records (11%) were distributed among 85 combinations of test data. The expert system correctly assigned all records. Regional blood centers must interpret a growing number of test results, including donations with a complicated pattern of multiple positive screening test results. The distribution of these data is described and the expert system's ability to monitor deferrals and ensure database completeness is demonstrated.

AB - Regional blood centers recently increased the number of tests used to protect transfusion recipients from infectious disease. The Food and Drug Administration has noted that computer systems for managing these data have lost donor data or failed to recognize all deferrals. Of 118,396 consecutive donations, including 4,859 records with at least one positive test result, records were analyzed to determine the number and frequency of distinct combinations of test data. A modular precedence-logic expert system assigned donor deferrals and unit dispositions. Ten combinations of data accounted for 4,334 records (89%); the remaining 525 records (11%) were distributed among 85 combinations of test data. The expert system correctly assigned all records. Regional blood centers must interpret a growing number of test results, including donations with a complicated pattern of multiple positive screening test results. The distribution of these data is described and the expert system's ability to monitor deferrals and ensure database completeness is demonstrated.

KW - Blood donors

KW - Software

KW - Verification

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0026640539&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0026640539&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 1529966

AN - SCOPUS:0026640539

VL - 98

SP - 334

EP - 344

JO - American Journal of Clinical Pathology

JF - American Journal of Clinical Pathology

SN - 0002-9173

IS - 3

ER -