Association of left atrial structure and function and incident cardiovascular disease in patients with diabetes mellitus: Results from multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis (MESA)

Timothy M. Markman, Mohammadali Habibi, Bharath Ambale Venkatesh, Mytra Zareian, Colin Wu, Susan R. Heckbert, David A. Bluemke, Joao Lima

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Aims: Diabetes mellitus (DM) is associated with the development of cardiovascular disease (CVD). Morphological changes in the left atrium (LA) may appear before symptoms. We aimed to investigate the association between cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (CMR) measured LA structure and function and incident CVD in asymptomatic individuals with DM. Methods and results: Tissue tracking CMR was used to measure LA size and phasic function (emptying fractions and strain) on all 536 Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA) participants with DM and available CMR at baseline in 2000-2002. At the time of enrolment, all participants were free of clinically recognized CVD, which was defined as MI, resuscitated cardiac arrest, angina, stroke, heart failure, and atrial fibrillation. Cox regression was used to assess the association of LA parameters with incident CVD adjusted for traditional cardiovascular risk factors, LV mass, NT Pro-BNP and maximum LA volume. Kaplan-Meier curves, adjusted for traditional risk factors, were generated for each LA measurement for the 25% of participants with the most abnormal values versus the remaining 75%. After a mean follow up of 11.4 ± 3.4 years, 141 individuals developed CVD. Individuals with incident CVD (mean age 66 years, 66% male vs. mean age 64 years, 50% male) had larger maximum and minimum LA volume index (LAVI) (32.1 vs. 26.8 mm3/m2; 19.4 vs. 14.2 mm3/m2 respectively, P < 0.001 for both), and lower total, passive, and active EF than those without CVD (P < 0.01 for all). In the fully adjusted model, there was a significant association of minimum LAVI, LA total EF, LA passive EF and LA active EF with incident CVD (HR 1.12 per mm3/m2, P < 0.001; HR 0.95 per %, P < 0.001; HR 0.97 per %, P = 0.021; HR 0.98 per %, P < 0.027, respectively). Conclusions: CMR measured LA minimum volume and LA function as measured by emptying fraction are predictive of CVD in a diabetic multi-ethnic population free of any clinically recognized CVD at baseline.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1138-1144
Number of pages7
JournalEuropean Heart Journal Cardiovascular Imaging
Volume18
Issue number10
DOIs
StatePublished - Oct 1 2017

Fingerprint

Left Atrial Function
Heart Atria
Atherosclerosis
Diabetes Mellitus
Cardiovascular Diseases
Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Heart Arrest
Atrial Fibrillation

Keywords

  • atrium
  • diabetes mellitus
  • left atrial function
  • magnetic resonance imaging

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging
  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine

Cite this

Association of left atrial structure and function and incident cardiovascular disease in patients with diabetes mellitus : Results from multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis (MESA). / Markman, Timothy M.; Habibi, Mohammadali; Ambale Venkatesh, Bharath; Zareian, Mytra; Wu, Colin; Heckbert, Susan R.; Bluemke, David A.; Lima, Joao.

In: European Heart Journal Cardiovascular Imaging, Vol. 18, No. 10, 01.10.2017, p. 1138-1144.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{d8fee5d23291480a97f2c8880b813358,
title = "Association of left atrial structure and function and incident cardiovascular disease in patients with diabetes mellitus: Results from multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis (MESA)",
abstract = "Aims: Diabetes mellitus (DM) is associated with the development of cardiovascular disease (CVD). Morphological changes in the left atrium (LA) may appear before symptoms. We aimed to investigate the association between cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (CMR) measured LA structure and function and incident CVD in asymptomatic individuals with DM. Methods and results: Tissue tracking CMR was used to measure LA size and phasic function (emptying fractions and strain) on all 536 Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA) participants with DM and available CMR at baseline in 2000-2002. At the time of enrolment, all participants were free of clinically recognized CVD, which was defined as MI, resuscitated cardiac arrest, angina, stroke, heart failure, and atrial fibrillation. Cox regression was used to assess the association of LA parameters with incident CVD adjusted for traditional cardiovascular risk factors, LV mass, NT Pro-BNP and maximum LA volume. Kaplan-Meier curves, adjusted for traditional risk factors, were generated for each LA measurement for the 25{\%} of participants with the most abnormal values versus the remaining 75{\%}. After a mean follow up of 11.4 ± 3.4 years, 141 individuals developed CVD. Individuals with incident CVD (mean age 66 years, 66{\%} male vs. mean age 64 years, 50{\%} male) had larger maximum and minimum LA volume index (LAVI) (32.1 vs. 26.8 mm3/m2; 19.4 vs. 14.2 mm3/m2 respectively, P < 0.001 for both), and lower total, passive, and active EF than those without CVD (P < 0.01 for all). In the fully adjusted model, there was a significant association of minimum LAVI, LA total EF, LA passive EF and LA active EF with incident CVD (HR 1.12 per mm3/m2, P < 0.001; HR 0.95 per {\%}, P < 0.001; HR 0.97 per {\%}, P = 0.021; HR 0.98 per {\%}, P < 0.027, respectively). Conclusions: CMR measured LA minimum volume and LA function as measured by emptying fraction are predictive of CVD in a diabetic multi-ethnic population free of any clinically recognized CVD at baseline.",
keywords = "atrium, diabetes mellitus, left atrial function, magnetic resonance imaging",
author = "Markman, {Timothy M.} and Mohammadali Habibi and {Ambale Venkatesh}, Bharath and Mytra Zareian and Colin Wu and Heckbert, {Susan R.} and Bluemke, {David A.} and Joao Lima",
year = "2017",
month = "10",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1093/ehjci/jew332",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "18",
pages = "1138--1144",
journal = "European Heart Journal Cardiovascular Imaging",
issn = "2047-2404",
publisher = "Oxford University Press",
number = "10",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Association of left atrial structure and function and incident cardiovascular disease in patients with diabetes mellitus

T2 - Results from multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis (MESA)

AU - Markman, Timothy M.

AU - Habibi, Mohammadali

AU - Ambale Venkatesh, Bharath

AU - Zareian, Mytra

AU - Wu, Colin

AU - Heckbert, Susan R.

AU - Bluemke, David A.

AU - Lima, Joao

PY - 2017/10/1

Y1 - 2017/10/1

N2 - Aims: Diabetes mellitus (DM) is associated with the development of cardiovascular disease (CVD). Morphological changes in the left atrium (LA) may appear before symptoms. We aimed to investigate the association between cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (CMR) measured LA structure and function and incident CVD in asymptomatic individuals with DM. Methods and results: Tissue tracking CMR was used to measure LA size and phasic function (emptying fractions and strain) on all 536 Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA) participants with DM and available CMR at baseline in 2000-2002. At the time of enrolment, all participants were free of clinically recognized CVD, which was defined as MI, resuscitated cardiac arrest, angina, stroke, heart failure, and atrial fibrillation. Cox regression was used to assess the association of LA parameters with incident CVD adjusted for traditional cardiovascular risk factors, LV mass, NT Pro-BNP and maximum LA volume. Kaplan-Meier curves, adjusted for traditional risk factors, were generated for each LA measurement for the 25% of participants with the most abnormal values versus the remaining 75%. After a mean follow up of 11.4 ± 3.4 years, 141 individuals developed CVD. Individuals with incident CVD (mean age 66 years, 66% male vs. mean age 64 years, 50% male) had larger maximum and minimum LA volume index (LAVI) (32.1 vs. 26.8 mm3/m2; 19.4 vs. 14.2 mm3/m2 respectively, P < 0.001 for both), and lower total, passive, and active EF than those without CVD (P < 0.01 for all). In the fully adjusted model, there was a significant association of minimum LAVI, LA total EF, LA passive EF and LA active EF with incident CVD (HR 1.12 per mm3/m2, P < 0.001; HR 0.95 per %, P < 0.001; HR 0.97 per %, P = 0.021; HR 0.98 per %, P < 0.027, respectively). Conclusions: CMR measured LA minimum volume and LA function as measured by emptying fraction are predictive of CVD in a diabetic multi-ethnic population free of any clinically recognized CVD at baseline.

AB - Aims: Diabetes mellitus (DM) is associated with the development of cardiovascular disease (CVD). Morphological changes in the left atrium (LA) may appear before symptoms. We aimed to investigate the association between cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (CMR) measured LA structure and function and incident CVD in asymptomatic individuals with DM. Methods and results: Tissue tracking CMR was used to measure LA size and phasic function (emptying fractions and strain) on all 536 Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA) participants with DM and available CMR at baseline in 2000-2002. At the time of enrolment, all participants were free of clinically recognized CVD, which was defined as MI, resuscitated cardiac arrest, angina, stroke, heart failure, and atrial fibrillation. Cox regression was used to assess the association of LA parameters with incident CVD adjusted for traditional cardiovascular risk factors, LV mass, NT Pro-BNP and maximum LA volume. Kaplan-Meier curves, adjusted for traditional risk factors, were generated for each LA measurement for the 25% of participants with the most abnormal values versus the remaining 75%. After a mean follow up of 11.4 ± 3.4 years, 141 individuals developed CVD. Individuals with incident CVD (mean age 66 years, 66% male vs. mean age 64 years, 50% male) had larger maximum and minimum LA volume index (LAVI) (32.1 vs. 26.8 mm3/m2; 19.4 vs. 14.2 mm3/m2 respectively, P < 0.001 for both), and lower total, passive, and active EF than those without CVD (P < 0.01 for all). In the fully adjusted model, there was a significant association of minimum LAVI, LA total EF, LA passive EF and LA active EF with incident CVD (HR 1.12 per mm3/m2, P < 0.001; HR 0.95 per %, P < 0.001; HR 0.97 per %, P = 0.021; HR 0.98 per %, P < 0.027, respectively). Conclusions: CMR measured LA minimum volume and LA function as measured by emptying fraction are predictive of CVD in a diabetic multi-ethnic population free of any clinically recognized CVD at baseline.

KW - atrium

KW - diabetes mellitus

KW - left atrial function

KW - magnetic resonance imaging

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85041214003&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85041214003&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1093/ehjci/jew332

DO - 10.1093/ehjci/jew332

M3 - Article

C2 - 28329137

AN - SCOPUS:85041214003

VL - 18

SP - 1138

EP - 1144

JO - European Heart Journal Cardiovascular Imaging

JF - European Heart Journal Cardiovascular Imaging

SN - 2047-2404

IS - 10

ER -