Analysis of hepatitis G virus (HGV) RNA, antibody to HGV envelope protein, and risk factors for blood donors coinfected with HGV and hepatitis C virus

De Tan, Akihiro Matsumoto, Cathy Conry-Cantilena, Jacqueline C. Melpolder, James W K Shih, Michael Leuther, George Hess, Joan W. Gibble, Paul Michael Ness, Harvey J. Alter

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Serologic, biochemical, and molecular analyses were used to study hepatitis G virus (HGV), antibody to the HGV envelope protein (anti-E2), risk factors, clinical significance, and the impact of HGV on coexistent hepatitis C virus (HCV). Among 329 donors with confirmed HCV infection, 12% were HGV RNA-positive and 44% were anti-E2-positive (total exposure, 56%). HGV RNA and anti-E2 were mutually exclusive except in 9 donors (1.5%); 8 of 9 subsequently lost HGV RNA but anti-E2 persisted. HGV had little impact on alanine aminotransferase, aspartate aminotransferase, or γ-glutamyl transpeptidase in donors with HGV infection alone or those coinfected with HCV. A multivariate analysis showed that intravenous drug abuse was the leading risk factor for HGV transmission, followed by blood transfusion, snorting cocaine, imprisonment, and a history of sexually transmitted diseases. In summary, HGV and HCV infections were frequently associated and shared common parenteral risk factors; HGV did not appear to cause hepatitis or to worsen the course of coexistent hepatitis C.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1055-1061
Number of pages7
JournalJournal of Infectious Diseases
Volume179
Issue number5
DOIs
StatePublished - 1999
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

GB virus C
Viral Envelope Proteins
Blood Donors
Hepacivirus
RNA
Antibodies
Virus Diseases
Tissue Donors
Intravenous Substance Abuse
gamma-Glutamyltransferase
Hepatitis C
Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Aspartate Aminotransferases
Alanine Transaminase
Cocaine
Blood Transfusion
Hepatitis
Multivariate Analysis

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Public Health, Environmental and Occupational Health
  • Immunology

Cite this

Tan, D., Matsumoto, A., Conry-Cantilena, C., Melpolder, J. C., Shih, J. W. K., Leuther, M., ... Alter, H. J. (1999). Analysis of hepatitis G virus (HGV) RNA, antibody to HGV envelope protein, and risk factors for blood donors coinfected with HGV and hepatitis C virus. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 179(5), 1055-1061. https://doi.org/10.1086/314722

Analysis of hepatitis G virus (HGV) RNA, antibody to HGV envelope protein, and risk factors for blood donors coinfected with HGV and hepatitis C virus. / Tan, De; Matsumoto, Akihiro; Conry-Cantilena, Cathy; Melpolder, Jacqueline C.; Shih, James W K; Leuther, Michael; Hess, George; Gibble, Joan W.; Ness, Paul Michael; Alter, Harvey J.

In: Journal of Infectious Diseases, Vol. 179, No. 5, 1999, p. 1055-1061.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Tan, D, Matsumoto, A, Conry-Cantilena, C, Melpolder, JC, Shih, JWK, Leuther, M, Hess, G, Gibble, JW, Ness, PM & Alter, HJ 1999, 'Analysis of hepatitis G virus (HGV) RNA, antibody to HGV envelope protein, and risk factors for blood donors coinfected with HGV and hepatitis C virus', Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 179, no. 5, pp. 1055-1061. https://doi.org/10.1086/314722
Tan, De ; Matsumoto, Akihiro ; Conry-Cantilena, Cathy ; Melpolder, Jacqueline C. ; Shih, James W K ; Leuther, Michael ; Hess, George ; Gibble, Joan W. ; Ness, Paul Michael ; Alter, Harvey J. / Analysis of hepatitis G virus (HGV) RNA, antibody to HGV envelope protein, and risk factors for blood donors coinfected with HGV and hepatitis C virus. In: Journal of Infectious Diseases. 1999 ; Vol. 179, No. 5. pp. 1055-1061.
@article{f5f100681cc148e9869457ea6b784eab,
title = "Analysis of hepatitis G virus (HGV) RNA, antibody to HGV envelope protein, and risk factors for blood donors coinfected with HGV and hepatitis C virus",
abstract = "Serologic, biochemical, and molecular analyses were used to study hepatitis G virus (HGV), antibody to the HGV envelope protein (anti-E2), risk factors, clinical significance, and the impact of HGV on coexistent hepatitis C virus (HCV). Among 329 donors with confirmed HCV infection, 12{\%} were HGV RNA-positive and 44{\%} were anti-E2-positive (total exposure, 56{\%}). HGV RNA and anti-E2 were mutually exclusive except in 9 donors (1.5{\%}); 8 of 9 subsequently lost HGV RNA but anti-E2 persisted. HGV had little impact on alanine aminotransferase, aspartate aminotransferase, or γ-glutamyl transpeptidase in donors with HGV infection alone or those coinfected with HCV. A multivariate analysis showed that intravenous drug abuse was the leading risk factor for HGV transmission, followed by blood transfusion, snorting cocaine, imprisonment, and a history of sexually transmitted diseases. In summary, HGV and HCV infections were frequently associated and shared common parenteral risk factors; HGV did not appear to cause hepatitis or to worsen the course of coexistent hepatitis C.",
author = "De Tan and Akihiro Matsumoto and Cathy Conry-Cantilena and Melpolder, {Jacqueline C.} and Shih, {James W K} and Michael Leuther and George Hess and Gibble, {Joan W.} and Ness, {Paul Michael} and Alter, {Harvey J.}",
year = "1999",
doi = "10.1086/314722",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "179",
pages = "1055--1061",
journal = "Journal of Infectious Diseases",
issn = "0022-1899",
publisher = "Oxford University Press",
number = "5",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Analysis of hepatitis G virus (HGV) RNA, antibody to HGV envelope protein, and risk factors for blood donors coinfected with HGV and hepatitis C virus

AU - Tan, De

AU - Matsumoto, Akihiro

AU - Conry-Cantilena, Cathy

AU - Melpolder, Jacqueline C.

AU - Shih, James W K

AU - Leuther, Michael

AU - Hess, George

AU - Gibble, Joan W.

AU - Ness, Paul Michael

AU - Alter, Harvey J.

PY - 1999

Y1 - 1999

N2 - Serologic, biochemical, and molecular analyses were used to study hepatitis G virus (HGV), antibody to the HGV envelope protein (anti-E2), risk factors, clinical significance, and the impact of HGV on coexistent hepatitis C virus (HCV). Among 329 donors with confirmed HCV infection, 12% were HGV RNA-positive and 44% were anti-E2-positive (total exposure, 56%). HGV RNA and anti-E2 were mutually exclusive except in 9 donors (1.5%); 8 of 9 subsequently lost HGV RNA but anti-E2 persisted. HGV had little impact on alanine aminotransferase, aspartate aminotransferase, or γ-glutamyl transpeptidase in donors with HGV infection alone or those coinfected with HCV. A multivariate analysis showed that intravenous drug abuse was the leading risk factor for HGV transmission, followed by blood transfusion, snorting cocaine, imprisonment, and a history of sexually transmitted diseases. In summary, HGV and HCV infections were frequently associated and shared common parenteral risk factors; HGV did not appear to cause hepatitis or to worsen the course of coexistent hepatitis C.

AB - Serologic, biochemical, and molecular analyses were used to study hepatitis G virus (HGV), antibody to the HGV envelope protein (anti-E2), risk factors, clinical significance, and the impact of HGV on coexistent hepatitis C virus (HCV). Among 329 donors with confirmed HCV infection, 12% were HGV RNA-positive and 44% were anti-E2-positive (total exposure, 56%). HGV RNA and anti-E2 were mutually exclusive except in 9 donors (1.5%); 8 of 9 subsequently lost HGV RNA but anti-E2 persisted. HGV had little impact on alanine aminotransferase, aspartate aminotransferase, or γ-glutamyl transpeptidase in donors with HGV infection alone or those coinfected with HCV. A multivariate analysis showed that intravenous drug abuse was the leading risk factor for HGV transmission, followed by blood transfusion, snorting cocaine, imprisonment, and a history of sexually transmitted diseases. In summary, HGV and HCV infections were frequently associated and shared common parenteral risk factors; HGV did not appear to cause hepatitis or to worsen the course of coexistent hepatitis C.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0033005541&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0033005541&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1086/314722

DO - 10.1086/314722

M3 - Article

C2 - 10191204

AN - SCOPUS:0033005541

VL - 179

SP - 1055

EP - 1061

JO - Journal of Infectious Diseases

JF - Journal of Infectious Diseases

SN - 0022-1899

IS - 5

ER -