Analysis of adenosine immunoreactivity, uptake, and release in purified cultures of developing chick embryo retinal neurons and photoreceptors

Roberto Paes De Carvalho, Karen M. Braas, Solomon H Snyder, Ruben Adler

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

We have investigated the presence of endogenous adenosine and of mechanisms for adenosine uptake and release in chick embryo retinal neurons and photoreceptors grown in purified cultures in the absence of glial cells. Simultaneous autoradiographic and immunocytochemical analysis showed that endogenous adenosine and the uptake mechanism for this nucleoside colocalize in practically all the photoreceptors, but only in ∼20% of the neurons. Approximately 25% of the neurons showed either immunocytochemical labeling or autoradiographic labeling, while >50% of the neurons were unlabeled with both techniques. [3H]Adenosine uptake was saturable and could be inhibited by nitrobenzylthioinosine and dipyridamole and by pretreatment of the [3H]adenosine with adenosine deaminase. Although these observations indicate that the uptake is specific for adenosine, only 35% of accumulated radioactivity was associated with adenosine. with the remaining 65% representing inosine, hypoxanthine, and nucleotides plus uric acid. Adenosine as well as several of its metabolites were released by the cells under basal as well as K+-stimulated conditions. Potassium-enhanced release was blocked by 10 mM CoCl2 or in Ca2+-free. Mg2+-rich solutions. The results indicate that retinal cells that synthesize, store, and release adenosine differentiate early during embryogenesis and are therefore consistent with a hypothetical role for adenosine in retinal development.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1603-1611
Number of pages9
JournalJournal of Neurochemistry
Volume55
Issue number5
StatePublished - 1990

Fingerprint

Retinal Neurons
Vertebrate Photoreceptor Cells
Chick Embryo
Adenosine
Neurons
Labeling
Inosine Nucleotides
Inosine
Hypoxanthine
Adenosine Deaminase
Dipyridamole
Radioactivity
Metabolites
Uric Acid
Nucleosides
Neuroglia
Embryonic Development
Potassium
Nucleotides
Cells

Keywords

  • Adenosine
  • Neurotransmitters
  • Photoreceptors
  • Purified cultures
  • Retina
  • Uptake and release

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Biochemistry
  • Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience

Cite this

Analysis of adenosine immunoreactivity, uptake, and release in purified cultures of developing chick embryo retinal neurons and photoreceptors. / De Carvalho, Roberto Paes; Braas, Karen M.; Snyder, Solomon H; Adler, Ruben.

In: Journal of Neurochemistry, Vol. 55, No. 5, 1990, p. 1603-1611.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{6692f0034d3044618f0dedaa6c5f5e3f,
title = "Analysis of adenosine immunoreactivity, uptake, and release in purified cultures of developing chick embryo retinal neurons and photoreceptors",
abstract = "We have investigated the presence of endogenous adenosine and of mechanisms for adenosine uptake and release in chick embryo retinal neurons and photoreceptors grown in purified cultures in the absence of glial cells. Simultaneous autoradiographic and immunocytochemical analysis showed that endogenous adenosine and the uptake mechanism for this nucleoside colocalize in practically all the photoreceptors, but only in ∼20{\%} of the neurons. Approximately 25{\%} of the neurons showed either immunocytochemical labeling or autoradiographic labeling, while >50{\%} of the neurons were unlabeled with both techniques. [3H]Adenosine uptake was saturable and could be inhibited by nitrobenzylthioinosine and dipyridamole and by pretreatment of the [3H]adenosine with adenosine deaminase. Although these observations indicate that the uptake is specific for adenosine, only 35{\%} of accumulated radioactivity was associated with adenosine. with the remaining 65{\%} representing inosine, hypoxanthine, and nucleotides plus uric acid. Adenosine as well as several of its metabolites were released by the cells under basal as well as K+-stimulated conditions. Potassium-enhanced release was blocked by 10 mM CoCl2 or in Ca2+-free. Mg2+-rich solutions. The results indicate that retinal cells that synthesize, store, and release adenosine differentiate early during embryogenesis and are therefore consistent with a hypothetical role for adenosine in retinal development.",
keywords = "Adenosine, Neurotransmitters, Photoreceptors, Purified cultures, Retina, Uptake and release",
author = "{De Carvalho}, {Roberto Paes} and Braas, {Karen M.} and Snyder, {Solomon H} and Ruben Adler",
year = "1990",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "55",
pages = "1603--1611",
journal = "Journal of Neurochemistry",
issn = "0022-3042",
publisher = "Wiley-Blackwell",
number = "5",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Analysis of adenosine immunoreactivity, uptake, and release in purified cultures of developing chick embryo retinal neurons and photoreceptors

AU - De Carvalho, Roberto Paes

AU - Braas, Karen M.

AU - Snyder, Solomon H

AU - Adler, Ruben

PY - 1990

Y1 - 1990

N2 - We have investigated the presence of endogenous adenosine and of mechanisms for adenosine uptake and release in chick embryo retinal neurons and photoreceptors grown in purified cultures in the absence of glial cells. Simultaneous autoradiographic and immunocytochemical analysis showed that endogenous adenosine and the uptake mechanism for this nucleoside colocalize in practically all the photoreceptors, but only in ∼20% of the neurons. Approximately 25% of the neurons showed either immunocytochemical labeling or autoradiographic labeling, while >50% of the neurons were unlabeled with both techniques. [3H]Adenosine uptake was saturable and could be inhibited by nitrobenzylthioinosine and dipyridamole and by pretreatment of the [3H]adenosine with adenosine deaminase. Although these observations indicate that the uptake is specific for adenosine, only 35% of accumulated radioactivity was associated with adenosine. with the remaining 65% representing inosine, hypoxanthine, and nucleotides plus uric acid. Adenosine as well as several of its metabolites were released by the cells under basal as well as K+-stimulated conditions. Potassium-enhanced release was blocked by 10 mM CoCl2 or in Ca2+-free. Mg2+-rich solutions. The results indicate that retinal cells that synthesize, store, and release adenosine differentiate early during embryogenesis and are therefore consistent with a hypothetical role for adenosine in retinal development.

AB - We have investigated the presence of endogenous adenosine and of mechanisms for adenosine uptake and release in chick embryo retinal neurons and photoreceptors grown in purified cultures in the absence of glial cells. Simultaneous autoradiographic and immunocytochemical analysis showed that endogenous adenosine and the uptake mechanism for this nucleoside colocalize in practically all the photoreceptors, but only in ∼20% of the neurons. Approximately 25% of the neurons showed either immunocytochemical labeling or autoradiographic labeling, while >50% of the neurons were unlabeled with both techniques. [3H]Adenosine uptake was saturable and could be inhibited by nitrobenzylthioinosine and dipyridamole and by pretreatment of the [3H]adenosine with adenosine deaminase. Although these observations indicate that the uptake is specific for adenosine, only 35% of accumulated radioactivity was associated with adenosine. with the remaining 65% representing inosine, hypoxanthine, and nucleotides plus uric acid. Adenosine as well as several of its metabolites were released by the cells under basal as well as K+-stimulated conditions. Potassium-enhanced release was blocked by 10 mM CoCl2 or in Ca2+-free. Mg2+-rich solutions. The results indicate that retinal cells that synthesize, store, and release adenosine differentiate early during embryogenesis and are therefore consistent with a hypothetical role for adenosine in retinal development.

KW - Adenosine

KW - Neurotransmitters

KW - Photoreceptors

KW - Purified cultures

KW - Retina

KW - Uptake and release

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0024994193&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0024994193&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 2213012

AN - SCOPUS:0024994193

VL - 55

SP - 1603

EP - 1611

JO - Journal of Neurochemistry

JF - Journal of Neurochemistry

SN - 0022-3042

IS - 5

ER -